2023 SEMA Show

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
Today I'm wrapping up things from this year's SEMA Show. Unfortunately it still hasn't recovered from the huge loss that resulted from COVID. After the mandated shut down, and further travel restrictions (there's a major international participation) in following years, things haven't been the same since. However I'd estimate is was closer to 75% of "normal" this year, which is a big improvement over last year. In addition to being smaller - both in terms of vendors and participants - it was rather subdued; significantly fewer show cars, smaller displays, less hype, fewer sexy models, no swag, and overall somewhat lackluster.

Regarding show vehicles. There was a huge percentage of trucks. I'm talking about those full size American pickups that are lifted WAY up, on huge wheels/tires, tons of lighting, big speakers and other decorations to make them 'menacing' looking. Perhaps at least 70+% of the show vehicles where those...sadly. And of the remaining show cars most were American "muscle cars" - both old and new. Very few imports. But the majority of those imports were 'super cars' or 'exotics'. Especially at the wheel and tire booths. The remaining couple of imports were primarily from Japan. In recent years I've noticed quite a few "Z" cars - both Datsun and Nissan (i.e. old and new). One trend I'm seeing is more interest in very high quality full-custom builds on extremely unique vehicles - oddball, weird, rare stuff. Also a much higher level of customization in general, more like "customs" used to be in the 60's with loads of hand fabrication. Too bad there were so few (relatively) great show cars this year because I'd love to see more of these unique and extreme builds.

Perhaps more noticeable than what was there is what wasn't there. Several of the companies/personnel that I usually look forward to seeing still haven't returned. Combined with the decrease in great vehicles already mentioned. "Exclusivity" is also missing - by that I mean they are getting much more relaxed about who can attend. I realize they are attempting to recoup some revenus, but allowing non-industry public in makes it more difficult to get one-on-one access to the prime personnel (I always learn a ton from conversing with the chief engineers and product designers at major companies), and in general getting around more difficult. Another thing that's missing is parking; in recent years the convention center has removed a couple of very large parking lots and built more huge buildings to house more shows. And the nearby hotels/businesses now charge around $40-70 a day for parking! That's equal to the entire cost of the whole show in just one day. Furthermore the upcoming F1 course will surround some of the area and construction of it is well underway. That means lots of road closures, restrictions, delays, congestion, confusion - it took me a full hour just to get out of one parking structure, then another hour to get two blocks from there.

Traditionally the SEMA Show has been considered one of the top yearly events in the automotive world. But that seems to be changing. A lot of my contacts have been saying the PRI Show is the new SEMA. And a lot of focus has shifted there. I'll have to check it out one of these days.

I used to go to the PRI show for many years when it was in Orlando. Made a lot of good contacts and tried out some one off parts for testing. That was in my stock car days

I used to go to the PRI show for many years when it was in Orlando. Made a lot of good contacts and tried out some one off parts for testing. That was in my stock car days
That's how the SEMA Show used to be - lots of 1 to 1 contact, excellent product information, plenty of opportunity to try parts, great atmosphere, and lots of fun. But it has changed. I noticed the biggest shift in things several years back when the head of SEMA finally retired after many, many years of running an outstanding show. His replacement has a very different philosophy and tries to run it purely as a business rather than an event.

Having recovered more from the exhausting week I was reflecting on some of the better show cars I saw this year. Several of the high end "exotics" had very extensive mods on them. What I'd call the Liberty Walk (LB) / Rauh-Welt Begriff (RWB) / Rocket Bunny style - very wide body, lowered to the ground, twin turbos on the engine, custom interiors and paint. Pretty extreme looking on such vehicles. Amazing how many people seem to have the money to not only buy a new exotic car (McLarens, Lambos, Ferraris, Porsche, Pagani, Koenigsegg), but then do such extensive customization to them. Another interesting one was a Ferrari Testarossa with what I'll call a "Autobianchi Runabout" style body, single center seat, and lots of smaller, more subtle mods to make it all really work. Or a Porsche with the top removed and a articulating plexiglass "bubble" top (like on the old custom show car hot rods) in its place. A couple of very nicely customized European "wagons" (I've always been a sucker for station wagons). And some really odd ball stuff. As you might expect, lots of EV related vehicles and products this year. But honestly I'm not interested so I didn't pay attention to what they were. Several unusual engine swapped cars. How about a Nissan 350Z with two Honda K24's - one in the front and the other in the rear. A Nissan Silvia with a huge Mazda rotary (not sure I get that one). A couple of Kei-class trucks fully customized and big engines. As you can see, and I stated previously, there was plenty of Japanese vehicles. But that's another genre of vehicles that I don't follow so I walked passed most of them without much notice. Sadly some custom builds didn't quite work, such as the Ferrari 612 Scaglietti rebodied to look like a original (pontoon fender) Testa Rossa. Or the one-off hand-built body vaguely mimicking a Porsche GT but in a "drift car" theme. There were other show cars worth noting that I don't recall at the moment. Although that may seem like a lot of great show cars, it wasn't nearly the number seen at past years (pre Covid) of the show. As we already know I'm not one for taking pictures, and even if I was you can't get clear shots of the show cars due to the crowds. So I do not have anything to show. But if you go online I'm sure you'll find all of them posted somewhere.

Back