# 286 Camshaft ID Question

halojm

True Classic
Trying to figure out what cam my extra 1500 head has in it so if anybody has any data on this part number it would be much appreciated.

All I got to go on is that it is not a stock cam and it has the number 286 stamped on the non pulley end. I was told it might be an IAP, and it is definitely not a regrind.

Any info on brand or specs would be welcome.

Thanks,
Dave

Bayless??

Hi Dave,

Took a real quick dip into the Xweb 1.0 archives and came up with this table of cam specs. I admit up front I know nothing about cams, so I am just guessinghere. Look in the table near the bottom in the Bayless section. There is a cam with a spec of "286", but it doesn't say it would be stamped on the end with a "286"

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1120288373/

Like I said, just a stab in the dark. I am certain someone smarter will be along shortly. :)

What's the cam made of?
does it look like cast iron or perhaps billet steel?
What are you intending to use it for?

286 is a Pittatore grind

SteveC

Camshaft Pictures

Not sure if it's cast or billet, thought the pictures might help. Depending on the specs, I was looking at using this camshaft for autocross racing next season.

Thank,
Dave

Camshaft1.jpg

Camshaft.jpg

Camshaft2.jpg

If your engine is quite standard ... this cam (assuming its a Pittatore 286 grind, which is what it looks like) has WAY too much lift... give it a rough measure...

If your interested in selling it, email me.

SteveC

No Heel.

There is no heel on that camshaft. The cambox will have to be milled as standard shims will not work to set up the valves.

This will turn the engine into an interferrance engine as well.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Camshaft Measurements

So I gave it a rough measurement on the intake lobe and came up with the following measurements:

Base circle: .930"
Lobe: 1.396"

Using a .016" valve lash, I come up with about a .306" lift on the intake side of the cam. Is that what the Pittatore 286 grind measures? If so, what are the other specs on the Pittatore 286 grind (lift, duration, overlap) and is it a suitable grind for autocrossing?

Thanks,

Dave

Update - So my math is a little off. I guess I need to do a more precise measurement of both intake and exhaust lobes to figure it out. Right now it does seem like a fairly radical lift cam.

Last edited:
Dave, the cam lift is .466" (11.83mm). 1.396 - .930 = .466 That is a very high lift cam that will need special valve springs, and special care to ensure that the valves do not hit the pistons.

Besides which, it is probably a bit too hot for autocross. Typical RPM for autocross are usually in the range of 3500 - 6500 RPM. This cam will be a bit flat below about 5-6000 RPM.

Ciao,

286 is about 12mm lift, so it looks like it could be a Pittatore...

Stock vavles and springs wouldn't work too well with this profile.

Interested in selling?

SteveC

Back