2nd. Annual Palos Verdes Group Drive & BBQ

mbusman

Big Bird
Save the date, Saturday, April 14, 2012.

We have a good line up of touring past the multi-million dollar slums in PV, stops to walk out to the tops of the cliffs to take in the breathtaking views, stop at a small musuem and lighthouse, Wayfarers chapel, and BBQ, similar to the well received group event last year. For those who like to drive the twisties, there's an option for y'all too.

More details coming in the near future.

Mike

Word from reliable, but unconfirmed sources,

is that Tony will be conducting belly dancing lessons, similar to the Oxnard group drive last fall. Also, Julio and George will be giving salsa lessons for those who can shake without throwing your back.

Mike

Jeff,

I'll be emailing further information about the event to the SoCal list plus posting details here. I'll be asking for a head count later in order to know how many steaks and lobsters to order. :love:

Mike

Additionally,

I'll be working on the timetable of the various stops this weekend for folks who don't know how to be prompt. Tony and I will work on maps. I sent out maps last year and you bashed me for being behind the times as all one needs is a GPS and an address. I supplied an address and you called us to wait, then a good 45 minutes after the scheduled start time saying you and Wil were lost in Cerritos.....a good half hour - 45 minutes in the opposite direction.

Be there or be square. Chop-Chop.

Mike

Event Plans Have Been Finalized

and emailed to everyone on Papa Tony's list of SoCal X 1/9 owners.

We'll head out on Saturday April 14th. at 11:00 a.m. sharp. The drive route will take us through the beautiful Palos Verdes Peninsula past the multi-million dollar homes and close to the cliffs where we can stop to take in the breathtaking view of the ocean and cliffs. We'll be making a stop at the Point Vicente Interpretative Center and Lighthouse, as well as the ever popular Wayfarer's Chapel with its wood beam and all glass exterior architecture, manicured grounds, and great views.

From there, I'll head to the park to get the BBQ going. Those of you with a sense for adventure can drive the twisties to the top of Palos Verdes where the view of the Port of LA is spectacular. You can catch up with us at the BBQ later.

If you aren't on Papa Tony's list of Socal X owners and are interested, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the drive plan details.

Mike

It's only 3 weeks away,

and only Tony, Merkel, and Tommy have said they're in.

If you're not on the email distribution from Tony's list of SoCal X owners and would like to attend, let me know and give me your email address so I can send event information to you.

Mike

OK, we're up to 7 now.

JJ & Rudy are in. Time for anyone else to step up to the plate. It's going to be a great day.

Mike

Present count is 13 cars and 21 people.

So if you aren't in yet, let me know. It's going to be a great day!!!
Mike

Just a couple of days to go.

The weather forecast looks like the rain will be out by Friday and Saturday is looking nice.

At the BBQ, we'll be raffling off some items and if the stars align properly, Papa Tony may have commemorative plaques and special awards for the deserving few.

See y'all Saturday.
Mike

George and his Martini racer X 1/9

are in. If you haven't seen George's X, it's worth the drive to come see it.
Mike

Gary Poage and his mustard yellow 124 is in.

That should put us at about 14-15 cars and about 22 people.
Mike

JJ

I hate to inform you old buddy, but the event was yesterday. We could have used you to eat some of the food.

I'll be posting pix later.
Mike

Pictures

Well yesterday was a beautiful sunny day although quite breezy and cool. Several of the usual suspects were there including Papa Tony, Merkel Weiss, Tommy & Nancy Mastracchio, yours truly (my wife and son joined us for the BBQ), Ed DeCarbo, George Aspron, Gary Poage, Ricardo Borja, and Julio Asturias. We (at least I) got to make some new friends including Brian Mix, Dan & Esther Ziol, Michael May, and Terry Cooper and his son Jerred who came all the way up from Oceanside (near San Diego). Rudy couldn't join us for the event, but he came all the way over to say hello and launch us on our way. Although some folks needed to cut out early or arrived a bit late, we had about 13 cars and 19 people at different points along the way. I think everyone had a great time.

Special thanks to Tony for his typically classy and humorous plaques and awards presentation, Tommy & Nancy for the great Italian sausage and manning one of the grills, Michael May for bringing up the rear to help folks who got stuck at traffic lights get to the various stopping points, Dan Ziol for the spumoni and cookies from your grandmother's recipe, Ed for again making up commemorative T shirts of the event which we raffled off, and George for the great Argentina syle pastries.

I'm going to try and paste the correct Photobuck links below of the pictures. I'm expecting more from Nancy and will post them later. The various pix include some of the multi-million dollar "shacks" near the cliffs in Palos Verdes, view from the cliffs, Point Vicente Lighthouse and museum (which includes a lot of archaic electronic gear Bob Brown would be into), Dan's red '67 Dino, partial group shot at the Wayfarers Chapel and a distance shot of the chapel as it was closed to the public for a wedding, shots of the picnic and awards ceremony. Keeping my fingers crossed I get the links correct. After previewing, the links came through, only the pix are in reverse order of how the event progressed.......Mike
P1050840.jpg

P1050839.jpg

P1050838.jpg

P1050837.jpg

P1050836.jpg

P1050835.jpg

P1050834.jpg

P1050833.jpg

P1050832.jpg

P1050831.jpg

P1050830.jpg

P1050829.jpg

P1050828.jpg

P1050827.jpg

P1050826.jpg

P1050825.jpg

P1050824.jpg

P1050822.jpg

P1050821.jpg

P1050820.jpg

P1050819.jpg

P1050818.jpg

P1050817.jpg

P1050403.jpg

P1050402.jpg

Some extra pix from Dan Ziol at the starting point.
http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/...es Fiat Fun Run/2012-4-1420fiat20run20003.jpg
http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/...es Fiat Fun Run/2012-4-1420fiat20run20002.jpg
http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/...es Fiat Fun Run/2012-4-1420fiat20run20001.jpg

Last edited:
I almost went, but I ended up taking my mom to breakfast that day for her 70th birthday. Sorry, that was a no brainer. I have the best mom ever.

Rey,

No apologies needed. I went east a couple of weeks ago to visit my 93 year old mother. You need to take advantage of the opportunities as you never know when it might be the last time you see a parent. In your case, you should have many, many more years to enjoy your mom's company.

Mike

Back