38 DGAS on 89 Nissan problems

85FIROCZ

Hello everyone. I'll get to it. I installed a weber on my dads old hard body. He wanted to get the truck running right and the old EFI system was gonna be a pain to get running right. So I installed a weber on it. Kit was off ebay. It ran great. Did everything it said to do in the install. Fast forward to now having major problems with the carby. The truck sat for about a month and then acquired a issue with bogging when you would go from cruising throttle to closed and in neutral. At first you'd have to step on it to keep it from dying. I messed with it and a little tap on the pedal stopped it from bogging. Now it's running even worse.

Problems I've encountered.
First fuel pressure regulator. The carb needs a reg to knock down the pressure to something the carb can use. No idea what the old TBI pump is putting out but the reg is giving the carby 3 psi anymore then that and it floods the carb. Gas spilling out the damn thing.
Second I've adjusted the screws closed and the thing still idles high. I've also pinched the fuel pressure line to drop the psi to 1 or zero and the carb still runs. I know after a while it will run out of gas.
I'm thinking the carb needs to come off and be taken apart. As to what I should be looking for I have no idea. I was gonna take it to a local carb shop for adjustments but I don't think it's gonna be that. Oh also found the carb dribbling fuel from both venturi. But I read on here that closing the idle jets would do that. Or that fuel floats being set to high would do that too.

Any inputs id suggestions would be very helpful. Also if anyone has links to a low psi electric fuel pump. I'd like to remove that regulator. Get it out of the picture.

Get rid of that EFI pump and replace with a low pressure pump. Facet makes one and there are others. You won’t be able to troubleshoot until you fix the pressure issue.

Yup, whenever I convert a Fiat from FI to carb (and I do that a lot) I have to chuck the high pressure pump and install a low pressure (2-4psi) pump.

Back