4-2-1 headers

DTohill

80 X1/9 Carb
Where can I buy a 4-2-1 header??? Going to be rebuilding my exhaust system when I get home. Since I backed over a cerb and bent it all to heck.:censored:

Never seen them for an X...

Doesn't mean they don't exist, of course. If we are talking aftermarket here...

I think some of the early (74 only? or 74-78?) stock systems were 4-2-1, from the pictures I've seen.

Conventional wisdom (whatever that is) would state that a 4-2-1 system (aka "Tri-Y") would not be suitable for the X engine. Typically Tri-Y's are used on lower revving engines intent on building low end torque. I guess that's why all the aftermarket systems for the X are 4-1, (somewhat) equal length.

Pete

Chris Obert lists a set on his online store

Where can I buy a 4-2-1 header??? Going to be rebuilding my exhaust system when I get home. Since I backed over a cerb and bent it all to heck.:censored:

What part exactly do you need? Cylinder head down to muffler 4-2-1 pipes? If so I have a set that might work for you... I believe they came off one of the sets that Bayless used to sell long long long ago.

I think some of the early (74 only? or 74-78?) stock systems were 4-2-1, from the pictures I've seen.
'74 only, but even then stock 4-2-1 isn't strictly speaking a header set: Theres a cast-iron 4->2 manifold, parallel downpipes joined into the muffler.

Conventional wisdom (whatever that is) would state that a 4-2-1 system (aka "Tri-Y") would not be suitable for the X engine. Typically Tri-Y's are used on lower revving engines intent on building low end torque. I guess that's why all the aftermarket systems for the X are 4-1, (somewhat) equal length.
Pete

Well, back in the day Bayless offered a 4-2-1 header, and I installed one on my '78 and loved it. All the runs were of equal length, of course. If I understand properly, the 4-1 versus 4-2-1 distinction has more to do with whether you want to preserve midrange torque or go for peak HP at the rev limit. But there are people reading this who have forgotten more about exhaust design than I will ever know, so if anyone disagrees, listen to them not me.

Interesting that Bayless made one...

I did not know that. Thanks for the info, Eric.

Daniel, it might be worth shooting an email to Madd Matt and see if there was one or two hidden in the old Bayless stash. Wouldn't that be cool?

Pete

Back