4 spd drive shaft removal

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
OK.. I am getting close to finally pulling the 1300 out of my 78.

I have every accessory, line, hose, wire, shift linkage, speedo cable, complete exhaust system, etc disconnected. So I am down to the final steps of removing the a-arms, drive shafts, and uprights. And of course the 3 main engine mounts are still in there.

Today I drained the diff and undid the axle boots to drain the gear oil. I loosened the 4 large nuts on the a-arms, but left them in place for now. At this point, The manual says to disconnect the a-arms and move them away from the diff until the drive shaft is free.

Here is my question: Is it really that easy? Just pull outward on the a-arm and the shaft pops out?

I realize this project is taking me forever, but most of it scares me. So I do a lot of staring and thinking thru what disaster might occur if I f'up whatever task I am attempting. :hmm:

A few pics:

I have a lot of cleaning to do before I start putting this thing back together. :(

Jim, take caution

pulling on the A-arm to get it out could tear the boot(s) on the shaft.

Do yourself a favor and use a 2 x 3 a foot or so long and wrap sharply against the back side of the axle coupling nearest the transmission housing (using the wood as a buffer) to drive it out.
It will come out of there with a little patience. Sometimes I have to turn the shaft by hand while wrapping it. (with the wood as a buffer)

Good luck with this and let up know how it goes.

Thanks Bob

I have already detached the boots from the diff and have slid them a few inches down the shaft away from the diff. They will come along with the shaft when I pull it, so hopefully they won't tear.

I just happen to have a 12" 2x3 laying under the X right now, but I don't understand exactly what you want me to rap on. Maybe it will be obvious if I get back under there and move the boots further from the diff. I will go take a better look.

It popped right out Bob

No effort at all. I guess that's why the manual said to just pull it out. :)

Back out to try the other side. It's almost like progress.

Both sides came right out

with no real effort required. Once I had the arm loose I just pulled gently out ward and the shaft with the tripod on the end came on out. The tripods look really good.

Good deal Jim,

Glad it was that easy.

I've dis-assembled a few that required a little extra persuasion. (as I described earlier) But it sounds like all is good with your progress.

As an extra, I stuffed Paper towel in the shaft sockets of the transmission to keep out any extra dirt and to catch the oil that would normally leak out when tipping it from side to side. You're likely way ahead of me on that. Good luck with the tear-down if that's your plan.

No tear-down for me Bob

This trans has about 63K on it. If shifts really well, except for 3-4. As long as I take an extra beat on 3-4 it goes smooth, if I hurry I get a little crunch. The plan is to put some MTL in and milk it for as long as it will run. Someday I will probably go to a 5-spd. If I ever have the money that is. :)

I thought about sticking some shop towels in the openings, but decided to wait till morning. The girls were waiting patiently to start a movie (Secretariat), so I just put away the tools and shoved the parts under the car.

Aw, c'mon, Jim! You were there for 5-speed 101 at Tony's all those years ago! Are gonna tell us you forgot everything Steve H. taught us that day? ;) Seriously though, it's really not that hard. Seems like a HUGE daunting task when you look at it, but once you get into it, it all becomes crystal clear. I'm just figuring that while you have it out, may as well take care of those synchros...

Define "There"

Hey Dave,

I was at Tony's, but I got there when you guys were wrapping up the transmissions. I did not get to participate in the tech day fun, but I drank a lot of beer the next day at the party to make up for it. :)

This transmission is going to have to do for now. I lack the knowledge and courage to crack it open. I know it works pretty well as is, if I get in there in may not work at all. :(

got it ou already....

transmission gasket set ain't that expensive- and just changing out the 3-4 gear shaft isn't that hard either-hint hint.

Thanks Kevin

I will keep it in mind, but I doubt I will tackle it this time around. A man has to know his limitations. :)

Jim,

A man has to know his limitations. :)

Isn't that what Clint Eastwood said in.......was it "Magnum Force"?? I think that was the one where he starts out the movie blowing away a bunch of terrorist hijackers on an airplane and his boss chews him out and tells Clint he's being reassigned to Personnel. That's when Clint responds with the very profound statement, "Personnel's for a$$holes".

Mike

Precisely Mike

I try to live my life by the "What Would Dirty Harry Do?" philosophy. There is much wisdom there.

I only have a 22 magnum though. Baby steps. Life is a long journey. ;)
coltfrontierscout.jpg

Getting closer Chris

Only the 3 engine mounts need to be removed to get the engine/tranny out. I need to get my chains hooked up and get the shop crane ready.

I will have to stop by and pick up the rear access panel so I can use it as a template for the access opening I plan to cut.

If you bought a second one,

the math would seem to work: 22+22=......but something tells me it wouldn't be the same as a S&W Model 29 or have the same effect.

As for what would Dirty Harry have done, he would have told the kids to wait until Secretariat comes out on DVD, he'd rip out the back trunk, and drop a big V8 in there. No halfway measures for him.
Mike

Back