40th Anniversary of the X1/9 (in the USA)

CandBMotorworks

C&BMotorworks
Am I correct in thinking that the X first came to the USA in 1974?

If so, does anyone have any interest in a big X-specific event next year?

Please give feedback

Hello? Is there anybody out there?

I know that there are already events many of us attend, but I don't know of any events specifically focused on the X. I thought this could be fun. Doesn't anybody agree?

I'm In

Assuming my cooling issue is resolved.

I know an early X owner or two (no longer owners but they know 74's inside and out) that I could talk to.

40 is a good birthday to celebrate.

I can put an event together, but I'd want the support of at least one (and ideally 3) vendor and at least 12 people to commit to coming.

Right now I'm thinking of setting it near Denvet Colorado as the venue because (a) it is fairly central, (b) I know of places to stay and drives to do, and (c) the weather there is generally pretty temperate for a summer event.

Plus, for people who want to attend but don't want to drive their X, Denver's airport is close and accessible. But I'm not married to a particilar location (yet) so I'm open to suggestions.

Colorado

I vote for Colorado. Denver or Fort Collins...

And yes, there are some very nice drives. :)

We may even have room to host a couple of folks and I would definitely be interested in putting on a good old fashioned BBQ!

I'm interested...

I think these kinds of events are great. Hopefully there are Fiat dealers near there who would want to participate. The Seattle and Tacoma Fiat dealers have been pretty heavily involved with FEN.

I don't have an X anymore, but would go if it was permitted, in my Scorpion.

As a former Scorpion owner...

...I wouldn't have a problem with it. We'd just have to throw a cover over your car to hide it from public eyes. :p

California...

I love CA and get out there fairly regularly. So I'm not saying no to CA. BUT, my perception is that most FIAT related events are on the coasts, to the exclusion of folks in the center of the country. Plus, if it's in CA we're not likely to get folks from the East coast, and if on the East coast we're not likely to get participants from out west. Hence my focus on a more central location.

I have a couple of alternative location ideas....Elkhart Lake WI or Mid-Ohio, for instance. The beauty of asking now is that there is still time to discuss the ideal location. The sooner we can decide, though, the easier it is to get a location, a block of rooms for people to stay in, etc.

Food for thought. And thanks to those of you who've responded.

I wouldn't consider anything west of Denver or east of Chicago a "central location". I think Ohio is only a few hours from the East Coast. Denver or WI sound good though.

Bob Grasch posted in the Fiat Freak Out 2013 thread that Chicago FLU has submitted a proposal to host the 2014 FFO.

Maybe the X1/9 40th anniversary can piggyback on that somehow? The advantage of piggybacking on FFO is that FIAT North America and our vendors are already participating. Someone very persuasive might be able to convince FIAT to bring Marcello Gandini over for the event as an honored guest.

Interesting thought. I'm intrigued by the idea of Mr. Gandini attending.

I'm less thrilled about Chicago. Part of that may be personal bias. I've never been there and my perception is that it will be hot and sticky city and suburbs and not great driving roads. I'm also not sure about the idea of hundreds of 500s engulfing our little X party.

Maybe I just need more insight.

Just thinking out loud, FIAT-NA's response to a proposal of having them support and participate in the 40th anniv of the X1/9 in NA, and FLU/FCA's overall response to "theming" the FFO2014 as a celebration of the X's 40th, would tell you a lot about how they would react to something similar at FFO2016, which would be the 50th anniv of the 124 Sport Spider, certainly FIAT-NA's historical bread-and-butter car, and the most commonly owned FIAT among traditional FLU/FCA members.

Using these upcoming anniversaries to promote a specific "old" FIAT model could play out to a scenario where many interested parties would benefit.

Let's say FLU/FCA and FIAT-NA decided to do this for 2014. FIAT-NA could be asked to get the current database of titled and/or registered X1/9s from an automotive records company and send one or more mailings to the owners announcing the big event for 2014. Co-operative mailings could go out from FLU/FCA and the major FIAT parts vendors, promoting the event as the perfect reason to get that X1/9 back on the road/repaired/spruced up, maybe increasing parts and service sales. The same contacts/mailings could promote owners signing up as FLU/FCA members and from that maybe even get active in local chapters.

If this idea pans out and is a success for the X in 2014, just multiply that by 2 or 3 for 2016 and the 50th anniv of the 124 sport spyder.

Some thoughts...

1. There is no ONE spot that will be convenient for everyone only some spots will garner more attendees than others... This would be true for any "national", event even for sewing machines.

2. Not driving or bringing your car kinda dulls the entire thing... It really makes a difference and attendees really need to bring their cars, pushed, towed or driven.

3. If I ran the Zoo, or were planning yearly events for anything, I would hold up for display and accolades items that have reached certain milestones and FEATURE them.

BFI, Fiat Amercia, FLU and the PNW organizations, as well as the venders and dealers should GRAB this opportunity and expand on it... as well as incorporate it into their existing events. Trying to establish a new, or one-time event will most likely be like herding cats I'm afraid.

My nickel's worth...

I like Denver

I can make it to Denver in my 74 no problem. Would be a nice little two day drive and I have places to stay there. Wouldn't make it in the X any where further east than that but would be willing to fly to meet up.

How interested should FCA be of the 40th anniversary?

DCFiats had more X1/9 on the Jan 1st drive than FFO had last year at Wintergreen. There were more Abarths at FFO than X1/9s.

Fiat was nice to sponsor a track day at VIR last year. I think there were 3 X1/9s at the track day (I was one of them).

The X1/9 did not move the needle at FFOs in the past. Looking at the picture of 1999,2000,and 2001 FFOs There were 24 in 1999, 17 in 2000, 16 in 2001. Each picture has over 100 Italian cars.

I love my X1/9 and sold my spider, but even I can see that X1/9s are not the driving force behind FLU or FCA. We may be the red headed step child of the Fiat world. :laugh:

Time to stop typing and go for a drive in an X1/9. There are 3 in the parking lot at my office today. :)

O.k. so I ran out of steam on this one and while I appreciate the insight, it left me a bit confused. I started thinking about it again today.

So, FFO is in Chicago this coming year? I don't want to have a conflicting event and expect that most will go to the already established venue. I generally only make one out-of-state event a year at most.

I still like the idea of Denver in June or July because Colorado is comparatively cool, there are lots of fun afternoon drives to take, and it is just about in the center of the country. I could go further East but that would make it harder to get West coast folks out there -- and it seems that almost half of the folks actively participating on this board are in CA and WA. The only downside of Denver might be cost.

I don't believe I've heard from Chris or Matt yet as to whether they would be interested. Is there anyone from Vicks that participates on this site? If we don't make it an X-only party, we *might* get the local FIAT dealership in Denver to participate.

Next issue -- how many days to have it and what days? Weekdays make things cheaper but force people to consume their vacation days. OTOH, if you are coming from one of the coasts, you are likely going to blow several days just getting there and back.

I need to set up a poll.

Good to see this up and running again Jeff

Of course I am voting for Colorado because there are some awesome roads here. Oh, and I'm already here!!! :D But then the thought of a road trip in the X is also inviting.

I chuckled at your comment about it being relatively cool here in June/July. Compared to Phoenix it is, but it still gets hot here. It is dry heat so not as oppressive as other places. Late May, early June would be perfect weather.

Speaking of early June, Automezzi is a great Italian car gathering that is held at Flatirons each year, usually the first Sunday in June.

http://www.automezzicolorado.org/

Check out the galleries. Each year they tend to have a featured marque or model and every year the proceeds go towards a charity.

The venue (just south of Boulder) is excellent and when we went this year there were lots of cars but still plenty of space for many more. It also has a good list of existing sponsors and vendors.

If there is enough interest for Colorado maybe we could approach the organisors. If we could add our own major vendors that might sweeten the deal.

2014 FLU in Chicago

I just skimmed thru these posts. The FLU, now renamed the Fiat Club of America (or something close to that) because they dropped Lancia from the name. (I have a Lancia too, and am not happy, but that's for another time.). The 2014 meeting is in St Charles, Il, 10-13 July. Why not suggest 40 years of the x be the theme? Someone could contact John Montgomery, the current president.

I just skimmed thru these posts. The FLU, now renamed the Fiat Club of America (or something close to that) because they dropped Lancia from the name. (I have a Lancia too, and am not happy, but that's for another time.). The 2014 meeting is in St Charles, Il, 10-13 July. Why not suggest 40 years of the x be the theme? Someone could contact John Montgomery, the current president.

John does own and drive a beautiful red X1/9.

Back