4X1/9 (aka: "oh God not the synchros!!")

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]4X1/9 (aka: "oh God not the synchros!!")<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]October 26 1999 at 6:50 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mac [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->

`whOoh boy...

What a day it's been. I have had quite a drive in the '80 X, and I am praying right now that the damage (!) is not too severe. Let me tell you about it...

I had the X stowed for the upcoming winter, and have been driving my Honda (foul weather friend) all of the time now. But today I had to loan the Honda to a friend in need, so I pulled the X out of her slumber, checked all the vitals, warmed her up and went on about my day...

Driving home from town, I have to go through part of a Military reservation. Big huuge piece of land that the Military uses as a practice area. Anyhow, I was almost to the other side (within visual distance) when the car in front of me stopped. In fact, there was a long line of stopped cars ahead of us both. At the head of the line was a Thurston County Deputy blocking the road with his car lit up like the 4th of July...

(here's a convenient chance to dip into the GIF library!)

<CENTER>
copcar.gif
</CENTER>

So, after much idling up one car-length at a time, I was near the front and could now see that the cop was directing people off the road! One car at a time folks were driving off of the paved road and into this massive field nearby (where the Army lands those big double-bladed 'Chinook' helicopters). I get to the front and the cop says, "There is a major accident ahead and the road is closed." He tells me that I can either turn around and go back or cut across the field & forest of the Reservation and (by use of the Military's vehicle trails) come out on the same road, down past the other end of the accident scene...

Well, normally I would have just turned around and gone back. But in this case:

A> I reallyreally wanted to get home.

B> I was about 4 miles from home.

C> Turning around would mean close to another hour before I'd get home.

D> The shortcut through the Rez was only 2 miles long.

Soooo... I went for it. The cop looked skeptical as such a low car as mine went toddling off the pavement and into the thick, deep, LARGE gravel area aside the road. He thought for sure I'd be stuck, but I breezed on through to where the driving trail began, heading out into the Rez straight away from the paved highway.

So far it sounds like the makings of a real Rally-style adventure! And, to be honest it was pretty fun. The roads were not kind, suited more for a Humvee, but the X never bottomed out once. It was rough, but I did not go *too* fast - just fast enough to overcome the resonant vibrations of crawlspeed. Heck, my DRIVEWAY looks as bad as this did, so I wasn't overly concerned. The only real threat was dust and dirt flying up, and she was already in need of a bath anyhow.

BUT!! (cue the ominous music) the REAL problem came AFTER all this, once I emerged from the dirt and gravel Rally trail and got back on the pavement. My best guess as to what happened is that the 2 mile drive, while not having damaged the car directly in any way, was enough to vibrate my gearshift linkage loose! Yep, that one bolt which holds the sandwich joint to the tranny arm. All was well up through the gears, and along until I reached the next intersection...

When it came time to downshift from 3rd to 2nd, I got the sickest, most gut-wrenching Tremendous `CrUnNCH! I swear I could just feel the blood drain from my face as the sound of the synchro biting the BIG ONE reverbed through my ears... LAME!!

I knew right away what had happened. I felt nauseous. I stopped the car and checked the linkage. Sure enough, the lollipop was loose at the one-bolt end. DAMN! This was a brand new tranny too, just one summer old...

So I got it home, avoiding the use of second gear (even loose, oddly, I had no trouble getting any other gear). I got home and tightened the link. Unfortunately, I fear the damage may already be done. I have heard some say that, "one solid crunch and it's all over for that gear"...

I have experimented with it upon getting home and have the following to report:

All gears are easily accessible, except 2nd. If I engage 2nd while car is *not moving*, it goes in quite easily. If I start off *from a stop* in 2nd it stays in gear and the car accelerates smooth as butter. Upshift from 2nd to 3rd is easy. IF, however, I start from 1st and try to upshift to 2nd, I get the horrible crunch again! If I am downshifting from 3rd, same thing - CRUNCH.

So, I have crunched it 3 times now. 1 was the discovery crunch - by FAR the worst - and 2 diagnostic crunches - much less extreme because I was ready for them and pulled back to N at the first hint of grinding.

So now what? Do I need to tear the thing apart and dig into the tranny? This is the only 5-speed X1/9 I've ever owned, and although I have heard a great deal of advice, data, views, tips etc on the 5-speed tranny, ownership has been just shy of 1 year THUS I would be fond of any tips right now as to what I may be overlooking. Is it clearly the 2nd gear synchro, or is there someplace else (read: less dismantling) that I might want to examine before open-tranny surgery?

By the way, I did examine all engine mounts for loose bolts or sag - they're not the shining examples they once were, but they're not loose. --Mac.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Ulix[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Bad Tranny<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]October 27 1999, 2:59 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Mac -

sorry to hear your transmission story.
Last weekend, while at Scott Phelps' house, we did a tranny tech session by none other than Steve Hoelscher, DSP National Champion in his X1/9 and X1/9 transmission guru. We tore a tranny apart on Scott's coffee table when hie wife was away :)

From what I learned there, my very amateur guess is that when your linkage was loose, you only partially engaged 2nd, so that the whole drive torque was transmitted through the engagement teeth, rather than the gears. This may have ground off the engagement teeth which eliminated your 2nd gear synchro.

Here is what I would do.
Email your description to Steve and have him guess at the cause.
Send him the tranny to repair and improve with some HoelscherTricks. If there are expensive parts that you need, you could try to find good used ones.

Just for the record, I would never have a anyone but Steve touch my X1/9 transmission. There are a number of tweaks that can be made, and a number of typical faults that normal transmission places wouldn't know about.

Ulix
Yellow 74<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mac[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->that's a good idea<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]October 27 1999, 4:24 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hey Ulix, glad to hear you're back in one piece!

A while ago, Steve and I were talking about something similar: I was thinking of sending him my 4-speed for some tweaks at some point in the future. Hmmn, as far from done as the '75 resto is, and in light of this new event, it would be smart to ask Steve for his take on this. Thanx for mentioning that! :) -Mac.

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Stu Brennan[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->How about holding a technical day?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]October 28 1999, 9:32 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I would love to watch as someone who knows what they are doing takes a tranny or just about any other parts apart. How about planning a series of technical days were people that know could share their expertise with the rest of the group. Topics could include:
Transmissions (lets take one apart and rebuild)
Carbs. (various tricks etc)
Engine Mods (cams, pistons other go faster devices)
Handling (strut upgrades spring cutting etc).
This would provide a good excuse for a get together and we could all learn more about are cars. My 2c worth Stu<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mac[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Tech session / heating the garage - Help!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]October 28 1999, 9:46 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hey, that sounds cool. Mo Soar already has suggested that I pack my tranny down to their place (Wa/Or border) and we have a tranny rebuild party there. I think it would be cool, but am not sure about how I would lug the greasy thing down there - stuff it in the backseat of my Honda?

At any rate, then the folks from up north would face a longer drive for it. I dunno.

What I *do* know is that I have a garage here at my place. It is spacious enough to fit both Xs inside (if I jostle one in sideways). This garage would be a good place for such a thing EXCEPT for 2 things:

1> I have no hoist and only limited tools.
2> There's no heat in there!

So that means jackstands and wallowing to get the tranny out, and freezing our butts off in the process. This brings me to a very important, semi-related, question:

Who can suggest a simple, cost-effective NON-ELECTRIC way to heat a large garage? I could easily see myself spending much time in the shop this winter... the '75 is in there begging to be gutted further, and now the '80 is in need of tranny removal. BUT it is so damn cold in the garage! UGH. I can't even work out there for more than a bit at a time. Progress is so slow that way. Who can suggest a good way to heat the space?? -Mac.

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Stu Brennan[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Heat! We don't need no stinking heat were canadian eh!!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]October 28 1999, 1:26 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Did I ever tell you about the time I was working outside on my exhaust at -40 and the heat from my body melted the snow and ice that I was working on. When I tried to get out from under the car all my clothes had frozen to the ground and I had to take them off to get out from under the car. The run for shelter was made worse by the fact that I was in the middle of a large residence parking lot at university and it was about a 200 yard dash. Streaking at -40 aint no fun.
I currently have a wood stove (got for free) in my garage that does a good job of heating it. A friend had an oil burning stove and he used to burn his used motor oil in it to provide cheap heat.
As for tools I have an engine hoist and tools. I could pack them into my truck and drive down as long as you don't plan on going to far south. (yeh I know california is warm but to far!) Stu

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Ulix[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Great idea!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]October 28 1999, 3:10 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I volunteer to do the performance tech session after I get the dual carbs on my engine (soon).
Maybe John Allen wants to help too.

Mac, Scott Phelps also has a wood stove in his garage in cold VT. Works great!
If you get it soon, we can have it at your place! :)

Ulix
Yellow '74 with lots of goodies under the hood<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "j";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "z";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("John Allen"); // --> </SCRIPT>John Allen <NOSCRIPT> John Allen </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Help's on the way!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]October 28 1999, 5:30 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->You bet, I'd love to help!

I've got access to most of the tools you need, just no way to get them there. Just tell me what work we are going to do (your tranny, Ulix's carbs, etc).

If we do put together a tech session, I'll try to 'steal' the digital camera from work to ease in development costs.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Mac"); // --> </SCRIPT>Mac <NOSCRIPT> Mac </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 90px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->oh, I gots the woodstove blues...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]October 31 1999, 10:12 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 90px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Well guys it sounds like a great time, but I don't know how soon I could install a woodstove in the shop. It's on the list now, but I don't know how long it's going to take for that item to work its way to the top of the "Mac's Life" list of priorities (!)...

I do want to do this, it would be great fun and hopefully productive as well. I'll start scouting around for such a stove, or any alternatives, and will keep you all posted (no pun) on the progress. -Mac.

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Steve Hoelscher"); // --> </SCRIPT>Steve Hoelscher <NOSCRIPT> Steve Hoelscher </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Thought I would drop in...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]October 31 1999, 7:21 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Referencing the post on Mirafiori on the same subject: We could do it over here if you wanted. Or on the USX page.

Steve

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->'brand loyalty'<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]November 1 1999, 11:45 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hi Steve!

Good of you to come in here and say hello :)

As for the topic you mention, I think we have pretty much nailed what we can until I get the tranny out and on the bench.

Before I get into dismantling the car, I really need a heat source in my garage, so for now I really am not going to make any progress until the stove (or something?!) is in...

I'll give you a nudge in the racers' forum when I finally get my act together and am ready for more of your valuable guidance.

In the meantime, though, your post has really made me happy in an unrelated way. I have noticed over time that there is a strange and fierce kind of "brand loyalty" on the web when it comes to enthusiast websites like this one...

What I mean is, there are some people who visit a large number of sites and contribute to each, but there is a *massive* number of people who just pick one and don't ever speak anywhere else unless prodded.

You were not prodded, and I just wanted to say that it's cool to see you post in this forum. You're welcome here anytime! -Mac.

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Steve Hoelscher"); // --> </SCRIPT>Steve Hoelscher <NOSCRIPT> Steve Hoelscher </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Rut<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]November 1 1999, 4:23 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Thanks.

I understand the synario. I haven't poked around much in the other forums. I see a some familar names on some of them when I have. But like a lot of other people, I sometimes get in a rut. Also, once you find a place that is comfortable, you tend to stay there. That is until you find it no longer fulfilling.

Steve<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Gilles[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->R.I.P.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]October 28 1999, 12:04 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Mac:
Very sorry to hear about your tranny, the noise and thereafter the tough of the damage must have hurt!

It seems that you will have to clean it with engine degreaser at the car wash and then remove it from the car.

It appears to be that Ulix's friend has a lot of experience with the X's 5 speed transmissions.

If you look it on the bright side, you will end with a greatly repaired gearbox, and since you rebuild it last year you may be able to get away without a lot of expensive parts.

I am sure that your transmission will have a happy ending story and hopefully not an expensive one. Good luck, Gilles

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->bad may be good after all...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]October 28 1999, 4:00 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I'm not saying I enjoy events like this tranny incident... however, it may have spawned a tech session (see other posts in this thread) which sounds like it could be fun!

Well, when your tranny's hurtin' you have to look on the bright side :) -Mac.

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back