5 Speed Transaxle, Part One, Take Apart.

Rupunzell

Bernice Loui
This 1979 5 speed transaxle arrived from a friend's race car with the innards needing attention.

Part one shows how to take one of these apart.

Transaxle on the bench ready to be worked on.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5%2Bspeed%2Bgear%2Bbox%2Btop%2Bview.jpg

Un do the two M6x25mm long bolts using a 10mm wrench holding the input shaft sleeve which the clutch release bearing slides on, remove this sleeve.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2BB%2Bhousing%2Bhwd.jpg

Using a 13mm socket, remove the three M8x50mm long bolts inside the bell housing. Use a 13mm wrench to remove the clutch release bearing fork screw from the clutch release arm & shaft and pull it out the top.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2BB%2Bhousing%2Bhwd%2B%26%2Bclutch%2Bbearing%2Bsupport%2Binstalled.jpg

A slide hammer with an adapter to fit on to the M8 x 1.25 threaded holes on the drive flanges is required to remove these drive flanges. There is a snap ring groove at the end of the drive flange splines that will dis-engage when pulled. Some pry on these drive flanges to remove them, there is risk of damage if this method is done. Easiest and quickest way is to apply the correct tool.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2Bslide%2Bhammer%2BRH%2Bflange.jpg

Removing the other drive flange ( got John with the blue gloves to do this part of the take apart).
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2Bslide%2Bhammer%2BLH%2Bflange.jpg

Remove the four M8x30mm long cap screws using a 13mm wrench that retains the diff carrier bearing cover. Make sure to remove the precision ground spacer which looks like a thin washer and keep it in a safe-known place.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2BDiff%2Bbearing%2Bcover%2C%2Bshim%2B%26%2Bcap%2Bscrews.jpg

Using a 13mm hex drive implement of your choice, remove the two M8x100 mm long cap screws and two M8x80mm long cap screws and two M6 nut/bolt that secures the 5th gear cover and remove that cover to reveal this;
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2B5th%2Bgear%2Bcover%2Boff.jpg

After years of dealing with these gear boxes, this input shaft holder was made from an old clutch disc center and 1" nut which fits a 1-1/2" hex drive tool. This is applied to the input shaft to stop it from moving.
IMG_2306.JPG

The two M20x1.5mm nuts are removed using a 30mm socket & 3/4" drive impact wrench. No need to un-stake the nuts as they spin off with that much impact torque. Not shown is the removed 5th gear shift fork and engagement of 5th gear to allow removal of this nut from the countershaft/final drive pinion gear shaft.
IMG_2307.JPG

Nuts removed. These nuts are Knackared. If the gear box has been worked on previously, the nuts are often re-used against the Fiat service manual's recommendations. The torn and beaten staked areas are a potential failure that could happen, so these are replaced when it this gear box goes back together.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2BOld%2BM20x1.5%2Bnuts.jpg

Lift off the 5th gear assembly including the sleeve bearings and all, then remove the plate between the 5th gear cover and case.
*Note the key drive 5th gear, this is common on 1979 and early 1980 gear boxes, some time later, Fiat changed to a spline drive 5th gear they are not interchangeable in any way and there are other various internal differences depending on the specific gear box.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2B5th%2Bgear%2Bassy%2Boff.jpg

Remove the shift dent cover carefully as there are three springs and three steel dent balls. The 5th & Reverse spring is shorter than the other two and made of thicker wire. Remove the steel detent balls using a magnet, place all these parts in a safe-secure location.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2Bshift%2Bdetent%2Bcover%2B%26%2Bsprings.jpg

Under the plate are the two rear bearings with snap rings. Either remove the snap rings or remove the bearing without damaging them. There are two slots under each snap ring to aid removal. One of these bearings is split if it is original or replaced with an original. Later gear boxes do not have the split bearing.

Once the two snap rings have been removed, use a 13mm hex socket and remove all the M8x50mm cap screws holding the case together. Once all the M8's have been removed, split and lift off the case top.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2BGear%2BSet%2BRemoval.jpg

Remove the reverse idler gear shaft by undoing the M6x20mm cap screw and triangle lock tab.. Early gear boxes have a 16mm shaft, later ones have an 18mm shaft and matching gear.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2BRev%2Bgear%2Bremoval.jpg

Using a 10mm hex drive implement, remove the shift translator assembly and reverse lock out unit underneath.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2Bshift%2Btranslator%2B%26%2BRev%2Block%2Bout.jpg

Once the shift translator unit is removed, the entire gear set, shift forks and shift rods can be lifted out of the lower case. Once the gear set assemblies have been removed, lift out the diff assembly.

What remains in the lower case are two large shift lock out beans and one small one on the end of the middle shift fork shaft or 3rd/4th shaft. DO NOT LOOSE THIS SMALL BEAN or there will be much grief later.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2BShift%2Block%2Bout%2Bbeans%2C%2Bwhere%2Bthey%2Blive.jpg

The small bean.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2BShift%2Block%2Bout%2Bmiddle%2Bsmall%2Bbean.jpg

The three beans.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2BShift%2Block%2Bout%2Bbeans.jpg

Using a 10mm socket in a universal, remove the shift translator coupler to shift shaft screw. This one is special.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2Bshift%2Bshaft%2Bcoupler%2Band%2Bspecial%2Bscrew.jpg

Remove the shift shaft from the lower case.

Done for now.

Bernice

A Couple of Been-There-Done-That Pointers

Pic #12, the shift detent ball and spring cover.

Various FIAT sources and Steve Hoelscher's 5-speed 101 say that these springs are color coded. So, when you remove them you may indeed find traces of original paint on them.

Regardless of whether they are color coded or miraculously still have paint on them, do yourself a favor and put each spring and ball in its own baggie and clearly note which of the three holes they belong to.

Pic #13, the left (drivers) side half of the trans case.

Since the one drivetrain-to-chassis ground strap is fastened under one of the bolts that holds the two case halves together, don't be surprised to find that years of electro-galvanic activity has resulted in a huge amount of corrosion on this bolt, preventing smooth removal of the bolt and thus the left half of the trans case.

In extreme situations, you may have to drill out the bolt to get it to release from the upper case half, and maybe keep drilling it out to remove it from the right side case half.

IMG_0534.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It's been a while since ...

seeing a tear-down / rebuild of the 5-speed transmission of this caliber.
This could very well become our new standard. The photos and steps (so far) are excellent!

Hope you don't mind (Bernice) if I make a PDF of the thread for future reference, as the photos will (likely) disappear
into the abyss like all other photos. I've been doing this with other posts, even my own posts for future reference.

Good job and thank you for taking the time and initiative. :thumbsup: :headbang:

Though I do NOT intend to

actually do any work on my transmission, it is a pleasure reading your precise and instructive account of the job.
Thanks Bernice.

For anyone that is going to do a rebuild on their Five speed and is going to change the carrier bearings on the third member you can get the bearings under the same number for $25 each at an auto parts store rather that $50 each from a Fiat parts place.

Kinda like Herzel said Bernice, I've never had any...

problem taking this trans apart... or much of anything else either...

Its putting it back together... and doing it properly, that's difficult for me!

HA!

Great stuff though... and some real magic is watching Steve Hoelscher take 5 of these apart and reassemble 3 in about 4 hours. Two were too far gone, one had a bad case and the other an Ebay rip-off that needed too many parts. It woulda probably made a better parts-trans for others than rebuild it...

There are several parts to this. If some one would like to take all that has been posted and translated it to .pdf or x1/9 wiki or.., it could be a good thing.

Bernice

seeing a tear-down / rebuild of the 5-speed transmission of this caliber.
This could very well become our new standard. The photos and steps (so far) are excellent!

Hope you don't mind (Bernice) if I make a PDF of the thread for future reference, as the photos will (likely) disappear
into the abyss like all other photos. I've been doing this with other posts, even my own posts for future reference.

Good job and thank you for taking the time and initiative. :thumbsup: :headbang:

Timely...

And very timely since I have one sitting on my workbench ready to be taken apart and rebuilt (wouldn't shift into 5th or reverse despite linkage adjustments, or even vice-grips on the shifter shaft (?) directly).
Thanks for the excellent write-up WITH PICTURES! :):clap::thumbsup::worship:

Back