$500 x 1/9 carb

Joemarf

I got the car running but it won’t idle and the secondaries won’t open, I want to get a new carb but idk if I should, any suggestions?

I got the car running but it won’t idle and the secondaries won’t open, I want to get a new carb but idk if I should, any suggestions?
Have you removed the existing carb to completely clean it yet? Isn’t the secondary mechanically operated? Or are you talking about the choke plates which are on top of the carb?

Cleaning a carb is tedious work but is not hard.

Grab a piece of cardboard, a sharpie and an awl. You will use these to keep track of the parts coming off by labeling, poking an appropriate sized hole for the part and putting the screw or brass part into the cardboard. Work on a good sized metal tray which has sides (steel one from your kitchen, my wife gave me one she no longer wanted) this way the parts can’t get away from you. Buy several cans of carb cleaner and if possible a gallon of carb dip with a basket to put the parts in to get rid of the schmutz that builds up.

I have been able to clean an old carb back into good usable shape with a gasket kit from one of our vendors. Not generally expensive unless you get the full kit with new shafts, bushings etc.

Last edited:
Have you removed the existing carb to completely clean it yet? Isn’t the secondary mechanically operated? Or are you talking about the choke plates which are on top of the carb?

Cleaning a carb is tedious work but is not hard.

Grab a piece of cardboard, a sharpie and an awl. You will use these to keep track of the parts coming off by labeling, poking an appropriate sized hole for the part and putting the screw or brass part into the cardboard. Work on a good sized metal tray which has sides (steel one from your kitchen, my wife gave me one she no longer wanted) this way the parts can’t get away from you. Buy several cans of carb cleaner and if possible a gallon of carb dip with a basket to put the parts in to get rid of the schmutz that builds up.

I have been able to clean an old carb back into good usable shape with a gasket kit from one of our vendors. Not generally expensive unless you get the full kit with new shafts, bushings etc.
Yep exactly what I was thinking, I took the top part of the carb off with the coke and float and there was jus rust and gunk built up on the bottom of the bowel,I’m goin to take it completely off and clean it good like how u said, just going to blow out the jets and then let it soak

Back