'74 carpeting

Beware

Mudge,

The molded, one-size fits all carpets, really don't. The late Bertones have a deeper floor pan so when you put a carpet made for a late car in a '74, there is a gap from the carpet to the top of the tunnel. You can smash it down with the console and hand brake bezel, which casues it to bulge out on the sides a bit. Mostly this is hidden by the side of the seat and looks okay but it isn't really correct. I think it is the same story on the sides but as I recall it was a little easier to deal with because you can trim the edge to get rid of the extra material. Somewhere around here are pictures of my interior but I don't know if it shows well in the photos.

I had bought a black, one-piece carpet from Obert & C. and it really is a nice piece. I still think it is better than cut-and-sewn carpet but I would have liked to have known about the issues before hand so I thought I'd give you a heads-up on it. There was also something minor about the position of the accelerator pedal too but I can't recall the issue.

Back