74 X for sale

mblommel

True Classic
ASKING $4500 FIRM

Once again the time has come to put my X up for sale. After 7 years of work I have come to the end of my journey with my X. I have invested countless hours (and dollars) to make this a nice car again. It spent most of its life as a Solo car so it was a relatively good car but tired. See my build thread at Grassrootsmotorsports.com for more pictures

EXTERIOR
All rust repaired properly by cutting all oxidation out and replacing affected areas with new metal.
-Both front floor pans replaced with new stamped parts sourced off of ebay from the Netherlands.
-Both rockers rust repaired see thread here
-Both front fender bottom sections rust repaired
-Driver's rear quarter in front of wheel replaced with original metal. See thread here
-Top of Driver's fender replaced with original metal, see thread here
-Windshield removed and all rust in channel cut out and replaced
-Rear trunk floor replaced
-Bumpers, rear engine lid, back window under panel and various radiator support pieces all professionally powdercoated semigloss black.
-'74 Grill in good shape with no broken parts
-MWB fiberglass replacement front spoiler
-New MWB door and Targa weatherstripping, NOS FIAT corner blocks
- New side marker lights
- PPG Urethane red paint. Complete paint job on all areas. Detailed engine bay with new laser cut firewall pad made from DEI Floor & Tunnel Sheild II

ENGINE/TRANSMISSION/DRIVETRAIN
- New MWB YUGO reworked cylinder head, high lift camshaft, new valves, etc. 2mm HD MWB head gasket
-Dual Weber DCNF40's, I just rebuilt these myself.
-fuel tank exterior powder coated, interior sealed with POR15 sealer kit
-Custom header with mandrel bent tube custom exhaust
-MSD 6AL ignition with rev limiter mounted in spare tire area
-Mallory Unilite optical distributor
-new NGK plugs, plug wires
-Transmission completely disassembled, cleaned, inspected and reassembled. New gaskets, seals, new lollypop. Filled with Redline MT90.
-Tilton lightweight aluminum flywheel.
-New pressure plate, disc and TO bearing
- Halfshafts bead blasted and painted. New inner tripod joints and boots, new outer CV joints and boots.

SUSPENSION:
-uprights and hubs bead blasted and painted all 4 corners
-new wheel bearings and seals all 4 corners
-new front control arms with ball joints
-new front radius rod bushings, radius rods and brackets bead blasted and powdercoated
- front addco sway bar, new urethane end links
- Mark Plaia front sway bar mount blocks
-rebuilt '74 steering rack with MWB rack end bushing
-new outer tie rods
-new Vick’s sport springs all 4 corners
-new Tokico GR-2 struts all 4 corners
-custom upper strut mounts with spherical bearings all 4 corners
-Custom front strut tower brace
-rear control arms modified for rear sway bar mounts, NEW ball joints (from Germany), powdercoated, new bushings
-rear addco swaybar, new mounts and new urethane end links
-all new grade 10.9 fasteners for suspension
-Revolution 13 x 7 alloys with new (less than 20 miles) Sumitomo HTR200 215/50/13 tires (tires were purchased in 2008 so they are new condition but old, no dry rot though)

COOLING:
-Dual radiator fans (factory style)
-Radiator boiled out at local radiator shop specializing in custom work, no leaks
-New radiator fan switch, fans wired on separate relay, GM style weatherpack connectors used for fans.
-Coolant pipes replaced with CNC mandrel bent stainless duplicates from Brown & Miller Racing Solutions http://www.bmrs.net/
-Heater diassembled cleaned and rebuilt with new foam inserts.
-Heater core boiled out by same shop as radiator, no leaks
-New NOS heater valve
-Heater pipes replaced with 304ss, custom bent to replicate factory
-all new heater and radiator hoses
-various heater gaskets, pipes replaces with new or NOS parts
-SS coolant tank
-New correct thermostat from Vick's
-New water pump

BRAKES:
-New brake master cylinder
-New clutch master cylinder
-New clutch slave cylinder
-Pedal assembly was pulled to refurbish - new paint.
-new braided SS lines from MWB
-new rotors
-new pads
-MWB upgraded caliper slides

INTERIOR
-New black carpet kit in box from MWB
- Floorboards insulated with Dynamat type material, cabin insulated with Thermozite from Perfect Fit MacDonald
-Very good condition 1978 140mph gauge cluster included
- Dash has 2 cracks, center section has been cut out.
-Seats are in OK condition, recovered with black velour material at some point. Driver's seat heavily bolstered.
-Door panels OK, cut to install door speakers at some point. Small tear at bottom of driver's door.
-New cast aluminum engine lid/rear trunk release housing from MWB
-new lid/rear trunk release cables from MWB
-124 spider steering wheel boss for direct mount of MOMO or Sparco steering wheels

It’s time for this car to find a new home where the finishing touches can but applied. It needs some electrical work to sort out things like the headlights, taillights. The interior could use some more attention. I'm I’m located in Orlando FL., email mblommel at gmail.com.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
Well you've helped me come up with a name for my car. Gonna call it "should've waited" lol. :mallet: Damn nice ride you have !! Love the look! GLWTS

Pictures as it sits right now??

I see alot of work in the pictures on the link but do you have some good pictures of how it sits right now, interior etc. What needs to be installed or repaired yet would be nice to see. I have been looking for a 74 in red.

PW

On the way...

Hi Paul,

Yes, absolutely I will be putting up a gallery of nice shots. I won't be able to do it until this weekend though due to work and family commitments. I had not planned to even put the car up for sale this soon but a post over on the GRM forum sort of let the cat out of the bag prematurely so I decided to get the text part of the ad done today during a lull at work. Thanks for your patience.

-Mike

I almost bought this car years ago

It was for sale in the KC area and I am in STL. Only 3.5 hours away. Pretty sure I had at least 2 Xs (if not 3) already or I would have bought it. I think I chickened out on asking the CFO for financial approval. :)

Here it is back in 2006 when JeffB was trying to get it sold.
Dc56.jpg

I am happy to see it is still around. Great work on resurrecting it Mike! :thumbsup:

I wonder if Jeff still has the same email addy. I think I will check.

Looks great and nice work in bringing it the level it is today. Sharp car. Really sharp :thumbsup:

WOW

That is one incredible car, especially for the price. I can't believe this hasn't been snapped up. If I was looking I would fly down and drive her home. Wowza.

Seriously! That's a very nice looking x and an extremely good value IMO. If I wasn't a "one-car guy" and fully invested in blood, sweat, skinned knuckles, and $$$ into my 81x I'd be all over this.

That is one incredible car, especially for the price. I can't believe this hasn't been snapped up. If I was looking I would fly down and drive her home. Wowza.

And now the bad stuff....

First thanks to all for your kind words. I've owned this X for 9 years and it's been a lot of work to get it to where it is today. Putting this car up for sale is a tough decision for me, but I know it's the right one. I don't have the same feeling for the car I did years ago and when it's not fun anymore something needs to change.

Now I've told you all the good stuff I've done and showed you some nice photos. Now for the not-so-good stuff. This car is still a bit of a project and that is why my asking price is reasonable. This project is in what I like to call the "sorting" phase, where you fix all the stuff that still isn't right before you get to really enjoy the car. So here's my sorting punch list:

- None of the lights are currently working
- pop up headlights not currently functional ( I replaced both headlight motors with good used units though so it's a wiring thing)
- stock tach is not hooked up to the MSD box
- all the switches in the center console need to be installed
- no horn
- door rear view mirror not installed.
- Inside winshield rear view mirror not installed.
- rear license plate lights need to be installed
- Winshield wipers not working and wiper arms need to be installed
- Rubber piece in engine bay on top of fuel tank needs installed (have a new repro one)
- carburetors need to be adjusted ( I just bought a flow meter for this, it goes with the car)
- cooling system needs to be bled (not overheating but I have not driven it much)
- new cylinder head will need to be retorqued once the car has been driven 100 miles ( I have the special wrenches for this, they go with the car)
- front and rear trunk weatherstipping is original and could use replacing at some point (no rips, tears or holes but still a bit stiff and old)
- targa top needs refurbishing. I have new weatherstripping for it.
- previous owner cut the bottom channel to repair the cooling tubes, car seems to drive fine with it open but a future owner may want to close it back up to make the car stock again. I left it open when I installed the new stainless cooling pipes.
- front are rear trunk mats are MIA.

Besides the flow meter and the cylinder head wrenches I have the special tool to install the wheel bearing retaining rings and a nice short 1-1/2" socket for turning the engine over by the crank pulley. These tools go with the car.

I think that's about it. None of this stuff is insurmountable, it will just take some time. The electrical problems are probably bad grounds and such as the wiring harness doesn't look to terribly hacked. I wired the electric fuel pump and the radiator fans to run off of a dedicated relays in the front trunk. If this car was fully sorted I would be asking at least $1000 more for it. If you peruse the build threads you will see every bit of rust has been eradicated from the body. Many of the parts that had a thin coat of cheap paint from the factory I had powdered coated. I built this car for the long haul. I hope somebody will be able to finish and enjoy it.

Thanks guys!

74 x

WHAT??
no trunk mats and the top is fading!?!?!? what are you thinking??
jes kidding. the downdrafts and the revolution wheels are worth that alone. sorry you have to part with all the blood, sweat and tears to get her to this state and say goodbye.
so sorry for that, someone...SOMEONE... pick up this gem!!
if you weigh the pros and cons, this is a runner that needs a little work.
I would, but it would cost me my spot on the bed.
ahh to be single again:sad:
mikemo

Small update, bled the cooling system and made some adjustments to the carbs. Planning on addressing the lights soon.

totally awesome

stop posting pics of a gorgeous car and drive the legs off her!!!!! have a set of the revolutions on one of my x's and they make the car.
mikemo

Thanks!

Thank you for all the kind words Mike! Yes, the revolutions are really awesome. After seeing Ulix's car I had to have an X with them and was lucky to find a car with a set. I will continue to work on the punch list items as time permits, but I just don't have the time to devote to the car.

Are you sure you want to sell it?

I had to ask just because it looks like you have done a great job on the car. You know your threshold for patience but you are so close to having it all there I would hate to see you to look back and shake your head. If you need the garage space for something else really cool I get that but man you are so close and it just looks really good. Just my $0.02. Step away from it for some days (weeks) and then hit it again. Like the saying goes about eating an elephant - one bite at a time.

Back