'74 X needs new Master Cyl. In place, or remove the bracket?

BrianM

'74 - Blue Bomber
Hi Guys,

Service manual says get on your back and pull the cylinder out on it's own

I've see a number of pictures here with the whole support arm removed Mater and clutch cylinders included.
This looks much easier to replace the cylinders, but how hard is it to get that support arm out?

Thanks,
Brian

Just suck it up and do the whole thing. This is why…
99BCDE05-4EFE-443E-BC25-A7A659D11E7E.jpeg
756EECE0-08B8-4B64-9887-AF2038A10FC3.jpeg

I think it’s probably easier to take the whole assembly out and it gives you the ability to clean and lube everything. The clutch pivot will need it for sure.

I'll add to the chorus of suggestions for dropping the whole pedal box.
The question is whether you:
a) go all the way and open up the clutch circuit as well so that you can take the whole pedal box assembly to the bench, clean everything up there, replace the low-pressure lines from the reservoirs and optionally replace the clutch master as well; or
b) just drop the pedal box down into the footwell leaving the clutch lines in place, do the brake master there.

If the pedal box looks scuzzy and neglected with pedals not moving smoothly or if I distrusted the clutch hydraulics I'd go with #a. Otherwise #b, understanding that there is some risk that I'll be back in there in a few months to deal with a clutch master replacement or something else I should have dealt with the first time.

Well if I'm dropping the whole thing it would be silly to not change the clutch master as well. And the brake switch is looking really crusty.
I'm installing a upgraded front break kit also. Guess I'll do that while waiting for the new parts. Wonder if MWB is having a black Friday sale?
BrianM

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Service manual says get on your back and pull the cylinder out on it's own

I've see a number of pictures here with the whole support arm removed Mater and clutch cylinders included.
This looks much easier to replace the cylinders, but how hard is it to get that support arm out?

Thanks,
Brian

I'll add to the dogpile, take out your pedal box and rebuild the thing. You don't have to fabricate an entirely new brake system as Bernice did, you can usually just clean things up. Bernice can be a little over the top sometimes. ;) And not all of us have a full machine shop at our disposal...

Here's how I did mine.

And if your reservoir hoses are the originals, for god's sake change them. Here's where to get the good stuff: https://belmetric.com/m7x12-5-braided-continental-brake-hose-rh7black-n203501/

Yes, it's pricey. But you won't have to change them again for another 49 years...

Back