'74X Alternator charge light "G" help...

petex19

True Classic
I'm at work and I know exactly the task ahead with my ignition timing issue and the car not starting but I still have no idea why the "G" Alternator charge light is no longer coming on when I turn the ignition key to start the car?

I need some help to understand the path the charge wire takes on the 1300X Alternator and what I could check to solve this problem (ground, fuse, wire connections, etc...)

'PeteX1/9

One end of the "G" light bulb is connected to ignition switch power, the other end is connected to the alternator field power (D+). This basically turns the alternator on and goes off when the alternator is producing power.

To test, disconnect this wire located at the alternator and connect it to ground, the "G" light should turn on when the ignition key is switched on. Remove the alternator field wire test connection to ground and the light should go off.

If the "G" lamp does not turn on when this wire is grounded, it is possible the bulb has failed or there is a break in the connection/wire between the alternator and instrument cluster.

Connect a volt meter to the battery, it should read about 12.5 volts with the car off, no less than 10 volts cranking and just over 13 volts when the engine is running. Under 13 volts with the engine running means the alternator is not producing power.

If needed, I can scan the alternator diagnostic section from the FIAT service manual and send it to you.

Bernice

I'm at work and I know exactly the task ahead with my ignition timing issue and the car not starting but I still have no idea why the "G" Alternator charge light is no longer coming on when I turn the ignition key to start the car?

I need some help to understand the path the charge wire takes on the 1300X Alternator and what I could check to solve this problem (ground, fuse, wire connections, etc...)

'PeteX1/9

Last edited:
This issue is fixed.:) It was an ignition wire so now at least I have Alternator charge again.

Tomorrow I try starting the X again.

'PeteX1/9

Back