'76 Triumph TR7

Discussion in 'NFC Forum' started by Huey, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Huey

Huey True Classic

I'm about to do the unthinkable. I came across a TR7 that I can get for a really good deal. The car runs and drives and is a low-mileage car (about 30K.) Very complete, very original and unmolested. It desperately needs a paint job but there is (supposedly) zero rot anywhere. I'm going to look at it today and maybe strike a deal. If I can get it for the right price, I can paint it next spring and either flip it or have a fun little runabout for my wife.

It will be my first British car. May God have mercy on my soul.

2. BEEK

BEEK True Classic

drink lots of warm beer to get in the mood....Lucas electricals

3. Tom Ginefra

Tom Ginefra True Classic

I will pray for you.

4. JimD

JimD Waiting for Godot... Moderator

Good luck Huey. If you can get a good deal, go for it.

I was parked next to a nice TR8 at a show this summer. It had a funky interior with plaid panels on the seats and door cards. Period correct I am sure. :)
    20180826_120951.jpg

5. alfaman

alfaman Daily Driver

6. Huey

Huey True Classic

I just got back from inspecting it and leaving the guy my deposit (I'll go pick it up next weekend.) The car is in remarkable condition, especially considering it is 42 years old! It was obviously repainted at some point and I'm guessing someone didn't prep it correctly because paint is peeling off and leaving areas of surface rust. But I inspected the car with a fine-tooth comb and there is no rust-through anywhere. I think a good media blast and a paint job with proper preparation is all it needs.

It is 100% complete and original with A/C and it even has the mid 70s smog stuff still on it, which tells me the car has not been molested in any way.

It starts right up and runs good but it could definitely use a tuneup and possibly rebuilding of the carbs. But, in all, it's in better condition than the X was when I bought it. I figure between the X and the TR7, I can keep one of them on the road at all times while the other one is being fixed :)

7. JimD

JimD Waiting for Godot... Moderator

Huey and Daniel Forest like this.
  8. Huey

Huey True Classic

46086976_10217317635198009_8980572171197743104_n.jpg

kmead likes this.
  9. Huey

Huey True Classic

Got her home yesterday. It looks rough but it's just the paint. Somebody repainted it and did a lousy job of prep work because it's just flaking off causing surface rust in a few places. But I looked over every square inch of this car and see zero signs of body work, rust repair, or rust-through anywhere. It only has about 30K original miles so it seems it just did a lot of sitting outside. It was once owned by a Triumph enthusiast and had been well cared for until about 2006 when the owner died and it sat.

I definitely need to rebuild the carbs, which I guess will be my first job. Even with stale gas and rough carbs, it starts right up and runs OK -- no smoke or anything.

But I need to get the X finished first.

20181117_142854.jpg

JimD likes this.
  10. bruakeman

bruakeman True Classic

Good looking car. Hope the interior is as nice! From what (little) I've read, these cars can be made to drive quite nicely.

11. MarkF

MarkF Administrator Moderator

Congratulations! Care to guess what my very first car was? :D I still have this from 1983. LMK if it would be useful to you.

Attached Files:

12. Huey

Huey True Classic

Mine came with one in the trunk that looks like it has been there since 1983. I think they were standard issue with every purchase of a Triumph.

MarkF likes this.
  13. Daniel Forest

Daniel Forest True Classic

The most difficult adaptation from the X19 will be with the wiring diagram. Wire colours are in English, not in Italian!

Huey likes this.
  14. ianlawson

ianlawson ian - NZ

Heh heh, Jim!! Oooooo, do I detect a sly smirk on your face right now, mate???? :rolleyes:

cheers, IanL - NZ

JimD likes this.
  15. Huey

Huey True Classic

:D

16. Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Dan Sarandrea (Phila) Waitin' On Parts...

You're going to need a different garage.