78 Dashboard Questions...

I know this subject has been broached before, but I'll be dang if I could find the thread(s), so...

I've finished mechanically restoring my X along with the exterior with new paint, the only thing left is the interior. The major item, as I see it, is the Dashboard. As you can imagine it has major cracks from the sun and heat of the Arizona desert.

• First Question: May be wishful thinking, but is there a source for either NOS or New Aftermarket replacement Dashboards?
  • Second Question: Assuming the answer to question 1 is "NO" then is there a company that produces a "Shell" that I can overlay on my existing dash and glue down so it looks good?
  • Third Question: Is there a thread that does a decent job of explaining how I might be able to rebuild the dash to "like-new" by laying up my own vinyl (or what-have-you)?
  • Final Question: I assume that if I need to, I can purchase a typical "Dash-Mat" to try to cover some of the imperfections. Is there one that does a better job than the others?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as always.
Mark

Restore:

First Question: <snip> source for <snip> replacement Dashboards?
Did you check the usual suspects (Midwest, FiatPlus, VIC's, International Autoparts / Henk)? For NOS Henk would be your best bet, he'll chime in if he has one available.

Second Question: <snip> a "Shell" that I can overlay on my existing dash?
Never heard of such, but see below.

Third Question: <snip> rebuild the dash to "like-new" <snip>?
There are places that will restore old dashes, like www.justdashes.com I have not tried them, and know nothing about their quality of work.

The VW Scirocco crowd uses just dashes a lot, because theres no such creature as a non cracked Scirocco dash:wall:

Mark... I can speak to "Just Dashes"...

They have been around for some time and I know of NO OTHER that does this work.

Their quality is second to NONE and they stand behind their work. They do restorations for any car and have supplied dashes for the CONCOURS levels as well as for every and any level of car inbetween.

I must say though... if you were (able) to compare a restored dash from Just Dashes to a BRAND NEW dash, side by side... you would select the restored dash over the new one! Their quality is really that good!

If you really are into a RESTORATION and have really put your money where your mouth is... then the cost of a Just Dashes restoration is really your only option.

(Even if you found a NEW OLD STOCK dash wrapped in factory plastic... it is still 32 years old and will probably crack and fade rather quickly once installed. Just Dashes uses materials that won't do either. I believe the cost of the restoration would be REASONABLE as compared to a PRIMO level of a NOS dash... and actually be a "bargain" relative to quality and longivity.)

If you are modifying the car or customizing the interior... I might have my local upholster-er come up with a cover or an overlay that might be different or compliment the rest of the custom interior.

Lastly... If in yur cheap... I mean frugal... like myself... I made a simple cover that is held down by the defroster vent out of the same carpeting I used for the floor, trunks, and lined my top with. Black indoor/outdoor carpeting... about 20 bucks for a 10 x 6 foot piece at Home Depot. Looks "presentable", neat and clean... easy to clean and replace if necessary. I cut around the glove box and instrument panel... and sprayed them black to match with Duplicolor Fabric and Vinyl dye...

You can also have ANY carpet material you choose TRIMMED with professional edging by taking the cut pieces to your upholsterer and having them sew the edges. Usually a very easy, inexpensive and fast process (while you wait).

I believe... those are your options... let us know what you find and do...

I probably shouldn't chime in here, but I happen to have a '78 sitting in my neighbors garage that I've had for a year and want to get rid of. My quandary is whether to sell it whole or part it out. My car-buddy (he is afflicted with AMCs ) thinks I should keep it all together and sell it whole. The dash is uncracked, it has the early style bumpers, grill, etc. How much is the dash worth? I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm just wonderin':hmm:

Well... I hate to chime in here also...

... as I do know what folks have paid for some of these... but I think it would be unfair to post a price, or prices, as it could possibly help one guy and hurt the other.

I think you and a buyer should determine what YOU want and what you will TAKE for it... and then keep the price to yourselves, if you agree on one. Otherwise put it up on ebay and let it go for what it goes for.

Secondly... usually you can get MORE for a car by parting it out... but then there is the issue of parting out a car that is considered RESTORABLE to one person, junk to another. The worse thing is to find a HALFWAY parted out car... kinda like a torture killing... and all of this will be in the eye of the "beholder".

No matter what ya do yur gonna win over some and upset others.

You could take some DETAILED fotos and put it up on this board... and you will get LOTS of opinions... but MAYBE you'll get lucky and the MAJORITY by a LONGSHOT might say KEEP IT TOGETHER, or something.

I wish you luck in your decisions...

Back