78 on Ebay located here in STL

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
This dealership has been in the same location forever here in STL. I have driven by many times, but never stopped in, because they seal mostly in really pricey cars. I guess I will have to drive over and take a look at this one, just to see what a $12,000 X1/9 looks like in person. I will take the 124 Special since the Xs are not ready to roll at this point. :(

Home for Christmas; might have to stop by myself. (Definitely can't afford an X for $12k, but still have the sonar pinging for a project car! Unless I adopt my dad's '95 Audi S6- that needs some work as is...)

I think it safe to say you would never buy a low end car (yea an X) from a high end dealer. For that price I would expect the dash to not have a rug on it but admit you would be hard pressed to restore an X to that level for less money.

I think it safe to say you would never buy a low end car (yea an X) from a high end dealer. For that price I would expect the dash to not have a rug on it but admit you would be hard pressed to restore an X to that level for less money.

My thoughts exactly carl. Also, maybe it is the striping, but the rear wheel arches look odd in the photos. Almost like they are bigger than normal. Probably an illusion.

In the listing it says NADA value is $20900 with a $8000 discount for a buy it now price of $12900. I am shocked by how much the value of X1/9's have gone up. How long will it be before the values top $100,000 and I can't afford to drive one just like happened to the Fiat Jolly. It looks like I have to start looking at cheap sports cars like a Miata or a Boxster.

LOL

The one discussed recently in this forum from Bring a Trailer
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1...mail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2017-11-07
same color but 1979 1500cc with a lower mileage look better too me. And it sold for 9600$.

One of the thing I didn't like on that 1978 car (I mean, apart from the colour) are the chrome trims on the bottom of the car and in the door panels. Look like thay are SCREWED or riveted. That IMHO is hurting the value of the car much more than some engine mods.

I agee about the trim that's screwed onto the bottom of that car, not my cup of tea. I think it was a dealer installed option or possibly a JC Whittney universal "style upgrade". I have a pair of them (NOT installed!) They are aluminum, not chromed.

I won't even get started on car dealers and excessive prices, nor their lack of integrity and ethics.
I agree about all the typical "add-on" trim stuff; rocker panel cover plates, mid-line molding strips, wheel arch accents, luggage racks, over-rider bumper bars, cell phone antennas, pin stripes, wheel trim rings, even extra badgeing. Mine had ALL of that and every bit of it was installed by drilling millions of holes through the body. Such a pain to remove, fill and body work it.
By the way, is the NADA value really listed as 21K? If so it puts NADA in the same boat as the dealers in my book.

NADA = National Automobile Dealers Association. So that guide has an interest in devaluing trade-ins and inflating retail values. I find Edmunds and Haggerty to be much more realistic.

I think your local Craigslist is the most accurate, ebay is for dreamers (the sellers).

So the car is listed as SOLD on the dealer's website. The Ebay listing shows it sold at the $10,770 price with 4 bids placed.

Ah. I guess it sold outside of EBay. The price seemed really high for that car.

Back