79-86 is 6 inch longer than 75-78. Where?

TDeReggi

Daily Driver
The 79-86 is about 6 inches longer than the earlier 75-79 X1/9s. Where is it longer?
Cockpit? Engine bay? Bumpers?

BTW, you got the euro specs. The US 1975-78 were 158.5 inch (4025 mm)in length while the 1979-1987 were 156.3 inch (3969 mm). So the 1500cc models were SHORTER than the 1300 US 1975-78.🙃

My 1974 Fiat US service manual shows the 74 X at 3900 mm. However, the diagram showing the dimensions clearly has the European bumpers on it so I'm not sure if that value is really correct for the US models.

My X is about one meter longer than all others, as it had to be lengthened to accommodate a Bugatti V-16 motor.

Attachments

• Bugatti V-16 engine.jpg
    Bugatti V-16 engine.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 61
My X is about one meter longer than all others, as it had to be lengthened to accommodate a Bugatti V-16 motor.
Congratulations. What kind of fuel mileage and range are you getting? I hope you remembered to upgrade from the plastic steering rack bushings.

I'm getting about 6mpg on the Bug-Motor, giving me a range of just under 70 miles (which I can cover in about 23 minutes). And yes, thank goodness I now have the bronze steering rack bushing, because the front end feels awfully light at those speeds, and absolute steering precision is paramount! Also upgraded my tires of course, the old space-saver spares on all four wheels were not going to cut it with the new motor.

Thanks guys for the answers. Sounds like I got the euro specs confused. For the record my reason for asking was that I was considering getting a 77 as a base to do an engine swap into or track car build, and was verifying I wasnt loosing anything starting with that, instead of a 79+ which Im more familiar with. (only thing Im aware of is the difference in hubs styles)

Thanks guys for the answers. Sounds like I got the euro specs confused. For the record my reason for asking was that I was considering getting a 77 as a base to do an engine swap into or track car build, and was verifying I wasnt loosing anything starting with that, instead of a 79+ which Im more familiar with. (only thing Im aware of is the difference in hubs styles)

Yes going to the later hubs for the late wheel bearings is worthwhile.

Back