79 paint options

AngleT

Always more tuning to do
I'm in the planning phase of restoring my 79X and was wondering where I could find the paint schemes available for that year? What # on the VIN relates to the paint and where I could find those paint codes? I'm not a fan of the current light blue (not sporty enough for me) and I'm thinking of painting it something else, but keeping it correct for the year.
Thanks,

What? Medium Metallic Blue... or B5...

ifin' yur a Mopar fanatic!

I hear its the MOST popular color in the world! And perusing this site almost PROVES it! HA!

Hey Tom... WHY? Why would you be concerned with painting your highly modified car a STOCK color? I see this all the time... folks hanging onto some form of STOCK issue while completely ignoring what's obvious, like aftermarket wheels.

Do what ya like... but for a BLUE car I rather like your SHADE of a darker metallic blue over most... and you probably know how I feel about blue in general.

I gotta say though... for a GT kinda car... which I kinda catergorize yours... the metallic grays or silvers work very well, like on Bob Turchan's car. I'm thinking about the same if I ever redo Black Tooth.

Good luck with your decision...

it's for my 2nd X

it's a completely stock 79. I thought I would restore the 79 for a nice comparison of stock and modified X's.

IMG_1600.jpg

Oh... well that reminds me of something...

One mistake I made and took me a bit of time to realize was... these two cars were too much alike.

I put them together around 2001 or 2002 and before I really had any insight to parts or ideas and this site was in its infancy.

The mistake I made was what I did to ONE car I often did to the other. Maintenance became TWICE the work and the same work for each.

I would have difficulty deciding which one to drive, as they were essentially the same... except for the fact that the POS I bought for a buck (White Fang) ran like a scalded dog once he was tuned and it took a while for me to figure out how to get Black Tooth up to par!

Soooo... what I learned was that if one was a TRACK car and one was a ROAD car they would have two distinct PURPOSES. If ya make them both road cars and one is "better" than the other, then you'll not drive the poorer of the too. It they are both road cars and "equal", then you have a dilemma of which to drive. In my case, if one had A/C that would have made a big difference!

So I'm just saying... this might become a problem for you also.

I suggest you take the "new" car and do something radically different with it than you did with the first car. Maybe even make it an ORIGINAL MUSEUM PIECE... and never drive it. HA!

Last edited:
Nah.Nah.Nah.Nah!

You be wanting the real 1979 color, Rosso Arancio. All those other colors are "also rans". :thumbsup:

Got a good pic you could post

I'm likin' the color, but would love a better/larger pic to see it better. We might have a winner...

Bourdoux Red

Tom my car is 188 red. Have the paint formual if you need it.

Single stage ureathane. It is a 79 colour. Not alot cam in that shade of red. Brown, robin egg blue, light red and brown are the colours I saw at the dealership when I worked there.

TonyK.

Have a pic? (nevermind)

(found a pic of your car from FFO2010. Thanks though)

Would love to see what it looks like. I've got the robin egg blue and I would prefer some sort of red or maybe the Rosso Arancio. I'm having a hard time finding a paint chip color sheet on-line.

188 Bordeaux Red

This is what it looks like (you might have a hard time remembering because I was so close to your bumper driving up the Dragon!)
Dave
IMG_0102-1.jpg

It's a beautiful red, but

I'm not sure it would look good with a tan/brown interior...

I'm surprised you still have your hearing following my car up the Dragon! It's a little LOUD! lol

Can't wait to do the Dragon again. That was real fun!

I like it

Does it look that orange in person? I think the pinstripe really ties in the interior nicely. Good lookin' X you have there. Don't know if that's your house, but that's nice lookin' too.

It's a strange red. Depending on the light it can be oranger.

In whiter summer light especially. In softer afternoon or early morning light it is redder.That picture was taken in front of the house when the temperature was 100 F and it was near noon. (Incidentally, it was -7F last night here in Albuquerque. So at 5000 ft, this ain't Phoenix!)

Back