83 - 89 Bertones badging

My 87 did not have a rear trunk X-1/9 badge, but I think that was because it had the OEM wing which would have covered it anyway. Nowhere on the car does it say X-1/9. There is "Bertone" on the hood and trunk badges, on the sail vents the left and right kick plates and glove box door.

So do any of the 83 - 89 cars actually have an X1/9 badge on them from the factory?

My 84 says X1/9 five speed on the trunk lid, and has X1/9 embossed in the leather patch on the seat back.

For the US market I'm pretty sure that once the Bertone circular badges replaced the FIAT wreath badges on the nose and runklid, the X1/9 badge was no longer used.

I'm sure importers/port/dealers still installed "X1dot9" decals on the sail panels as stock permitted, although it seems these decals were more common on UK cars.

Maybe I was daydreaming, but when the switch for the Bertone badges happened, I toughts the vents on the sail panels also changed from Bertone to Fiat on some model years. But I couldn't find any evidence of that. I may becoming too old. Not as old as Dan, but still too old... o_O

Anybody could confirm I'm not crazy?

1983-1984 Bertone badged cars came with a factory "X1/9 five speed" deck-lid badge.
this was on the low scheme painted cars.
Once the switch was made to the high scheme paint in 1985 the deck-lid "X1/9" badging was lost.
1985 cars until the end remained the same with no extra badging.

The "X19" vertical decal was the more common decal on the sail panels in this timeframe as well.
the "X1dot9" decal was for the much smaller run on the VS/IN editions..
This was back when Bertone wanted the LTD sail decal for "Limited" but had to change it.
83e.jpg

1983-1984 Bertone badged cars came with a factory "X1/9 five speed" deck-lid badge.
this was on the low scheme painted cars.
Once the switch was made to the high scheme paint in 1985 the deck-lid "X1/9" badging was lost.
1985 cars until the end remained the same with no extra badging.

The "X19" vertical decal was the more common decal on the sail panels in this timeframe as well.
the "X1dot9" decal was for the much smaller run on the VS/IN editions..
This was back when Bertone wanted the LTD sail decal for "Limited" but had to change it.
View attachment 10521

We can always count on you Greg to be the custodian or curator of the X1/9 reference collection to help us with all aspects of our cars!

Back