84 Bertone 72K $4k

Not so sure. It looks like there is some major rust on the back of the car and the valance is missing. The pics are overexposed and or they used photo shop to make the car look too bright hiding the fact that there is no luster left in the paint. I also note that the seats are in terrible shape. I think this car is only worth a couple of grand because your probably looking at a complete repaint and seats redone... My:2c::2c:

Nice car

It looks nice, but thinking the same, the price might be a little high without more detail and records since the buyer would want to intially put money in for replacement items (seats/seat covers, tires).

Would need new tires since the ones on have been on the car for some time (since the seller stated Pirellis). Though the profile might be good, the rubber might be bad. As stated by Jeff with the seats. The exhaust does look like an ANSA--my favorite. The carpet looks faded (I would consider replacing if I were to buy it).

The rocker panels behind the front wheels do look like there is a lot of undercoating or rust.

Is there an extra tension rod for the engine lid??? I see one laying in the trunk and it seems one is on the engine lide too or is there one missing from the engine lid??

Engine looks like it was just steam cleaned (still is wet).

Strut mounts would have to be looked at as well as the struts.

I wonder when Fiat changed of from putting the rubber mats in the front storage...My 1980 had the same and my current 1986 has a longer piece that goes all the way to the front nose and it is a felt like material.

The parital cover should be like the ones you can get for the Jeep Wrangler. The cover slips over the windshield and rear pillar and is held with a bungee elastic or adjustable strap. Intended for short down pours like you get in Hawaii when it rains for 15 minutes then the sun pops back out. Lot simpler to put on to keep the interior dry - and does not take that much space - than a full cover. But you still get water spots on the exposed panels.

What's with the blank panel below the HVAC controls? Looks like it's been a victim of a stereo-ectomy. I would think replacing the surround that should be there might be a little difficult, unless you can find that part used.

Hard to say how much rust is there. Looks like some in the trunk, but really hard to say from these pics. Don't see any on the rockers or cowl/windshield area, but, as JJ said, the pictures aren't really clear.

Seats need reskinning, carpet replaced or at least re-dyed. Tires are ancient, wheels need to be cleaned up, maybe repainted and polished.

Judging by what we know, could be a solid car, but in need of some TLC. $4K would be a stretch, IMHO, maybe (depending on settling the rust question) a $2500-$3000 car.

Such Pessimists!

From what I can see in the photos it's basically a nice used car. The driver's seat will definitely require rehab. The funny blanking plate on the dash is odd, and hopefully doesn't cover major damage, though it is still possible to get a replacement binnacle.

I agree the wheels and tires will require attention. The wheels look oxidized, and the Pirellis sound rather old. Given the description of recent work done and the age of the tires I suspect the car has been off the road for several years and should get a thorough going through for issues that might strand the new owner on the side of the road.

As to the rust, I cannot see any but I'm looking at the photos from my blackberry. If it's there then it is an issue that will affect price.

As to the missing rear valence, I suspect that is simply because it won't fit with the current exhaust setup or the owner just didn't want to fuss with it. If it is there to be sold with the car, it shouldn't be an issue.

Someone should do an actual physical inspection of this car. Alas, I have no garage space and no spare $ and I'm in a different state.

The price may be a bit high, but I suspect that is due in part to the fact that the owner has original bits like that Bertone cover.

That partial cover...

...would be a great thing for someone with cowl rust. If it fits over the cabin (windshield, side glass and over the targa bar). It would keep the rain from coming in around the windshield, at least.

Does anyone recall Bertone/Fiat offering this half-cover as an option? I wonder if it is Bertone original. I had a half-cover many years ago on my Triumph TR8. Wasn't original, I think I bought it from California Car Covers. Covered the windshield and the open cockpit, attached via padded bungie cords to the 4 fender lips.

Looks nice, but..

Me thinks he wants too much. The market will likely encourage the owner to price it right.

All and all folks, I would "ask" $3999 as well...

I'm sure its "negotiable"... and settling around $3000 - $3300 or so would be good for BOTH parties.

really hard to buy a classic sports cars from an unknown source from looking at photos. I know too many people that have had horrible luck doing that.

I think it would be good to see our cars going up in asking prices.

Over here, in Puerto Rico, you can not find a MGB for less than $7000 - 8000, in any condition, and I personally believe the X is a much much better car.

When I sold my beloved 78 (totally restored, stock looking, but super modified for performance) in $2500 back in the year 2000, I swore I would never buy an X1/9 again. I lied to myself.

It is fair that cars like the X receive the recognition they deserve as real sports cars,with beautiful body, interiors, packaging, economy, parts availability, continued racing success, and that little unexplainable "something" that make them so desirable, at least for us. Oh, and that epic performance potential...

I agree pretty nice, and it has been well taken care of since it's still on the road! Think Cal. emissions testing.

You may be right, but..

I don't have the impression that FIAT/Bertone was real consistent about when they made upgrades and improvements. Mid-year changes don't seem that uncommon.

It could be a late 83 sold in early 84.

True but sold in and manufactured (model year) in are two different things. I see years quoted by the year initially registered as well but that dosen't change the model year.

Back