850 Spider School of Hard Knocks Lessons Learned for Other Owners

Installed a freshly rebuilt engine in my 850 and ended up with a Texas size oil flow coming out by the flywheel. Seems "someone" installed the main bearing cap either backwards or used an incorrect cap so that the oil return was blocked off. Long time ago so I forget the exact details but the rear main seal wasn't strong enough to hold the pressure.....defective seal? (kidding)

Make sure your fuel inlet and recirc nipples, which are just pressed-in by the factory into the carb body, are either (a) threaded AND Loctite'd into the carb, or (b) bonded AND safety-wired into the carb body, which is how I did mine. Otherwise one of the nipples WILL pop out at an inopportune moment and possibly set your car on fire.

Make sure your fuel inlet and recirc nipples, which are just pressed-in by the factory into the carb body, are either (a) threaded AND Loctite'd into the carb, or (b) bonded AND safety-wired into the carb body, which is how I did mine. Otherwise one of the nipples WILL pop out at an inopportune moment and possibly set your car on fire.
Right on Dave! I had a '67 going across the Martinez (San Francisco area) bridge toward Oakland when it popped off!!! I was close enough to the south end to coast off the bridge and pull off to the smell of raw gasoline.

1. Idle jets are different now due to new gas, Pierce Manifolds says idle jets 40-50.
2. I watched an axle flange separate on a Sprite back in my racing days. I had the stub axles on my Alemano magnafluxed, both were cracked.
3. Buy a cheap used motorcycle jack off craigslist to raise and lower your engine/transaxle.
4. 124 calipers/rotors/brackets work just fine on the front (as a complete assembly). Should also use the 124 MC which fits with a little finagling

Make sure you put the o-ring back in when doing an oil filter clean. Oil everywhere, up the walls, ceiling, engine bay on first startup

Solved this problem a different way:

1630078914136.png

Back