850 spider top cover will not latch tightly

Dave Bassett

True Classic
So, as in the headline, my convertible top cover will not latch tightly. It appears that the strike plates are not located correctly or, perhaps bent. When I attempt to latch the cover, one latch will not go down far enough to "grab" the strike plate and the other goes down well below and thus will not hol the latch tightly. I have attempted to adjust them both but neither has enough adjustment to rememdy the situation. My inclination is to remove the strike plates and bend them to better conform with the latch's location. However, first I am inquiring of the experts.

Hi Dave - it is a little weird that they are out of adjustment range. Have you tried it with the rubber weatherstrip off? On mine, the weatherstrip is providing the "spring" that keeps the latched engaged when it grabs. Other think to check is to measure if the thatch themselves extend the same distance down from the cover (do not recall if there is play for an adjustment on them, but easy enough to check). Best, Loren

Loren, one rubber bumper is missing and the other just wedged in.Takingit out made no difference. On the driver's side, the "hook"of the latch is at least 1/8 inch shy ofbeing able to reach. On the passenger side, th is almost a similar amount of "play." My thought is that perhaps they got reshaped a bit by one of its previous owners or a body shop. I am leaning toward just removing them and adjusting their angles as I can't find any adjustment via the bolts holding the strike plates to the body.

Seems like a reasonable way to go. If I recall directly, the holes for fastening the plates on mine are slotted a bit for adjustment (out of town so I cannot confirm but pretty sure that is how I got mine to engage on both sides). Should be a relatively easy fix for you. ljf

Loren, since we are on the topic, one of the reasons I have not removed the strike plates is because I am unsure whether they are held by captive nuts in side the bodywork like the door strike plates are. Do you know whether this is the case?

Mine are captive so it was no issue to get the plates back on when I reupholstered the whole interior (just had to use a compass end to find where the nuts were hiding).

Back