'86 X too cool. Correct me if I'm wrong.

HazN

True Classic
Took her out for a short drive tonight. Very slow to warm up. Never got above 160°. Thermostat stuck open? That's my feeling.
I have a Stant Superstat #45378. Acceptable? Are there any secondary problems that might cause this symptom? I can't think of one.

Thanks folks,

Haz

Not too cool....

Everyone should have your problem, Ha!
160 Deg F is good. 180 is "perfect", but I certainly wouldn't do anything to make it hotter than what you've got. My opinion only.

I don't know about temp on X's...BUT...

...on Jaguars, they say that running too cool is bad for the engine. I have seen that mentioned on few times on the forum. Cannot remember what issues it can lead to.

Thermostat and sender.

I'm going to remove the thermostat today. It's appearance will tell all. However, if it does not, where is the gauge sender located? (My age is showing.) There's one on the thermostat housing and, I believe, one on the head. One is for the computer and one is for the gauge. Which is which?

Thanks!

Haz

The sensor on the thermostat housing is for the F.I. ECU. The sender on the back of the engine is for the gauge. Be sure to check the connection first, before replacing. A loose or corroded connection will make the gauge read lower than normal. Test the gauge and wire by grounding the sender, the gauge should "peg" or got to full hot.

temp sensor could be bad and causing a bad reading..

I had this happen to me on a 131 once. It was pretty obvious the sensor was bad when eventually my car radiator heated over and the temp never went over 190 :wink2:

Definately worth testing the sensor.

Regards,
Tim

Back