"87" time capsule X back on eBay

Greg (in Conn)

Bertone curator - X driver
Looks nice, but

At least 1 seat was repaired, and I see at least 1 major door ding.
Still, I would LOVE to have it. Could make a next queen....:excited: although there is only one of those. Right Jim? :whistle:

I was following it on BaT too; the price is coming down to the point where it might be a really good buy. It now has about 5,000 additional miles so evidently somebody's been using it over the past year. As somebody pointed out, based on the VIN it's actually an '86 (hence the single-tone paint job) w/ optional leather.

With a car in this kind of low-mile, true "survivor" condition, it would be tempting to keep the mods to a minimum...maybe even leave the girder bumpers alone. Couldn't keep me away from some engine and suspension upgrades though...then it would really be something special.

Right you are Mr. Brown the Queen draws attention wherever she goes.:eyepop: We bought our new red 1986 Bertone from a dealer in S. Carolina and we think the year was either 1989 or 1990. The car had been stored off shore and the dealer had four cars.

Bertone from a dealer in S. Carolina and we think the year was either 1989 or 1990. The car had been stored off shore and the dealer had four cars.

Tony's Imports in Wilmingtin NC and Corvette of Gastonia in Gastonia NC both had 85 and 86's as late as 90.

My 85 sold new in 88. (Corvette of Gastonia)

Seems this car has been kicking around quite a bit over the past year or so. That said I don't know how much love (real attention) its received since emerging from its purported slumber. The seller says "having been scrupulously maintained by an enthusiastic and meticulous owner since it was rescued" and " it has been fully sorted after sitting as in new condition for over 20 years". So what does this mean? Receipts to prove it? What about all those inconsistances in the AutoCheck? Could be nothing but...? Guess that leather could have dried up and cracked like that but if so was every gasket, rubber piece, etc changed? Did the current owner drive it for a bit and realize that a whole lot of things need "sorting"?

This bothers me, "This one represents an interesting opportunity for the Concorso and car museum guys, but we’d put it on the road". And who is "we'd" which is also said when refering to the black interior.

Lastly the 10K buy it now is gone after the first bid. Why have one at all. The car may be great but something bothered me about this car last time it was offered for sale and this time also.

Don't mean to sound down on this car but I would rather purchase any car from someone who has owned it for a while and without the hype.

This bothers me, "This one represents an interesting opportunity for the Concorso and car museum guys, but we’d put it on the road". And who is "we'd" which is also said when refering to the black interior.

Looks like he copy/pasted some excerpts from the BAT feature posted in the above link. Also looks like the same owner that purchased it from the original auction winner me thinks. If he kept it nice those Flickr pictures show the good stuff.

I believe the owner is an Xweb member but doesn't post here much.

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/13081/

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an interesting car and even a more "interesting" seller!

The car is located about 3 miles from me.

About 1-2 years ago he was selling it about 1 month after he bought it, we came to terms on the price, and if I remember correctly, it was ~$11K. The only caveat to final purchase was to get a vehicle inspection prior to money trading hands.

We set a time to meet at a local Fiat shop. Upon showing up he kept giving signals he didn't want to sell it. At that point I asked for him to commit to selling if it passed inspection; he wouldn't. At that point I decided not to pay for his mechanical inspection and simply walked away.

At the time I suspected he just wanted others to covet what he has or was trying to set a value to know he made a good purchase - who really knows.

The situation left me feeling he wasn't serious about selling it. So is he now? Who knows, time will tell.

Here's what I know about the car.

· The breaks were rather spongy and pulled to one side (I think right).
· Seemed to shift well but he wouldn't let me drive it too far.
· Engine seemed good, but again I didn't drive it too far.
· There was a small amount of oil dripping off the lower portion of the engine.
· The car was recently washed; I suspected power washed the engine.
· I drove it around the block - less than 1 mile.
· Small paint rubbed off and the beginnings of rust in the engine bay from the lid rubbing; should be a simple fix.
· The passenger side engine bay drain was plugged and full of water, I suspected rust but couldn't investigate due to water being present.
· The interior seemed to be in good shape.
· Rubber was 7 out of 10.
· Paint was 8 out of 10.

At the time it seemed like a good car but the seller prevented me from really inspecting it. So was he hiding something? Who knows?

The seller is rather odd, but the car seemed worth buying after passing a solid inspection.

However, if the car is sold for $8-9K I think it'd be a good deal.

If someone does get it on this forum please give us a good write up after.

Cheers,
Larry

Just noticed the registration is expired (March 2012).

Based on my recent issues in registering my car, could that be one clue?

I'm still betting he's hiding something.

Ask questions prior to placing a bid; and if a bid is in your future maybe we could get Ty out for a quick look from a qualified X-head?

Ty - What do you say, you game for a visit? Lunch is on me!

"Sold" for over $9K

High bidder was one of those with no bidding history. I wonder how long it'll be before we see it F/S again. :whistle:

This car is nice but....

Someone has taken the time to fiddle with certain things, and this car while extremely low miles and beautiful is certainly is not an "original" condition find. It has a couple of interesting "isms" to it.

First, this is clearly a 1986 titled as an 87, but it has a couple of
1987 components that don't belong.

It has early 86-style trims in a mix of stainless and monochrome black. The steering wheel and shifter knob/boot could have been added by anyone, but it has a 1987 emissions tag on the intake manifold which is curious. I'd like to see what date the green and white emissions compliance sticker on the left side of the engine bay says.

They never came with blue pinstriping, so that was clearly added, which suggests a repaint.

Looks like the muffler is askew, as if the exhaust flange broke and they got it mis-aligned when they welded it back.

Nice black leather interior, which is rare for an 85 or later car, you had to special order those.

Done picking nits. lol.

It's a $10K car in my opinion, just not "original" the way an under 15K mile car might be expected.

-M

I think the pinstriping is legit factory. I remember checking that back in the original Barret-Jackson auction pictures.

I had one that was titled as an 87 a few years ago that came from Southern California. Same red with pinstripe. It also had the 87 steering wheel and shift knob but nothing else that would make it a full 87. Had tron wheels on it. Maybe they were at the end of the model year and had a mix of parts from 86 & 87.

Back