"87" time capsule X back on eBay

My take...

I think this is a modified car based on a 1986 model. The blue stripe IS factory, John Montgomery's Red X had this stripe and I always liked it. I remember seeing these when they were new or almost new. The interior looks like it has parts lifted from a 1983 model, seats, leather shift boot (83 only item). Of course, the steering wheel is the ONLY 87 specific item on this car from what I can see. The 86 also had the black bumpers with chrome trim around the windows, 84-86 only year in this combo as far as I know. Nice car but definitely NOT original.

ahh the conspiracy theories. :)

Left-over 1986 titled as an 87 long ago put to bed.

that interior to me... minus the leather gaiter & repair to the driver's seat is all original.
Many have added aftermarket boots to cover the long shifter... hardly a modification.

Pinstriping shown under the VIN plate on the door pillar confirms factory although it looks white on the pillar part :wink2:

I learned something new today from BrettM about the chrome around the windows and that the 87 were black. I pulled out a 87 brochure and noticed that the trim that runs behind the car's rear pillar down beside the engine lid was black were the other years were chrome as well. So much small detail.

I dunno... to me the id'ing seems pretty simple...

there will be some exceptions but standard as follows;

84s will have silver bumpers + stainless trim all around and chrome plated door handles.

start of the transition:

85s will have black bumpers + stainless trim all around & black matte door handles

86s will have black bumpers + black rear sail trim & black door handles. Windshield + window trim remains stainless.

87s ALL black matte trim AND the addition of the 4" door & fender molding. Without the door molding you is an 86 :)

88s ???

Now i pulled my brochures for the 1985 and 1986 years. These brochures are very close to each other using the same pictures for the most part. Bertone did change the rear stainless trim to black in the 1986 pics even though you can tell its the same car pictures from the 1985 brochure.

One more 86 feature

While this car has the proper "backward" tachometer, the 87's (like mine) have a larger white font for the numbers. Very distinctive difference.

BTW, does anyone know what year the backward tach started? I think it's 86.

Backwards tach began about 1980 - my 4/80 has it. There may be a few 79s with it too. When the new dash arrived, it became clear that many drivers could not easily see the important half of the tach. This was around the same time they went to an 85 mph speedo too.

Legit.

High bidder was one of those with no bidding history. I wonder how long it'll be before we see it F/S again. :whistle:

I spoke with the former owner. This X has a new home heading out to the mid-west.

Legit sale. So ring up another X 1/9 that sells for at least $9k this year :thumbsup:

backwards tach

My 79 had a regular tach and all of the later 80s X1/9s I have seen have the backwards version.

Tach switch came sometime mid year 79...

...at one point I owned one of each simultaneously.

Where in the midwest?

I spoke with the former owner. This X has a new home heading out to the mid-west.

Legit sale. So ring up another X 1/9 that sells for at least $9k this year :thumbsup:

Did he give you a location Greg?? The Midwest is a big place. :)

Did he give you a location Greg?? The Midwest is a big place. :)

No unfortunately not.
Still mysterious just like the lack of adding a "personal touch & details" to the eBay ad listing and such.

congrats to the new owner so hopefully they chime in --- they gotta right :excited:

This was one fine X 1/9 example imo... and from just recently selling a Mustang via Craigslist i can tell ya I didn't sell to 1 prospective buyer for being a ... well :wink2:

Back