87 X1/9 on BaT

Seems like strong money for the car. I make that statement under the assumption that whomever bought it was in the market for a mostly OEM if not original car---after all if they were looking for a car that would be the basis for a project, they could get that for somewhat less.

Assuming my assumption is correct, buyer may be in for a surprise if they didn't catch these issues:
1. Dash cracked in two places
2. Seats reupholstered in OEM pattern but not trying to mimic OEM materials or colors
3. Poorly redyed door cards and driver's door card practically falling off
4. Driver's door courtesy lamp lens cracked
5. Unknown condition of carpet under ill-fitting floor mats
6. A/C conditioning function unknown--don't even know if all components are still there
7. Missing HVAC temp slider knob
8. Well out-of-date Sumi HTR200 tires on original wheels
9. Curious mix of FI hoses, some of which looked to be original or incorrect spec
10. Several missing undercar shields (FI pump shield and starter motor shield); no pics of accessory drive belt shields
11. Missing timing covers
12. Missing OEM air cleaner assy
13. Missing OEM exhaust heat shielding
14. Admittedly it is hard to be sure from the supplied pix, but from some of the side angles it sure looks like a "butterface" Earl Scheib/Maaco type of paint job
15. The modded bumpers are what they are and a matter of personal preference for sure, but judging from what the fronts look like, not a lot "craftsmanship" was invested.
16. Missing battery cover
17. Windshield glass not original, unrecognized replacement brand

Also:

-Drivers Mirror missing plastic trim on interior mounting nut.
-Passenger mirror does not seem to be original and doesn't seem to be mounted cleanly.
-Rear upper shock mounts seem to be perished.
-Missing Ductwork for trunk fi blower motor.
-Shift linkage body side boot severely perished.
-Huge paint chip on interior of drivers door.

Each one of these things by itself, isn't a huge deal, but all of them compounded will take considerable effort and funds to fix. I'm quite surprised it brought $11k. Maybe the freshly rebuilt trans and gone over motor added considerable value...

Also:

-Drivers Mirror missing plastic trim on interior mounting nut.
-Passenger mirror does not seem to be original and doesn't seem to be mounted cleanly.
-Rear upper shock mounts seem to be perished.
-Missing Ductwork for trunk fi blower motor.
-Shift linkage body side boot severely perished.
-Huge paint chip on interior of drivers door.

Each one of these things by itself, isn't a huge deal, but all of them compounded will take considerable effort and funds to fix. I'm quite surprised it brought $11k. Maybe the freshly rebuilt trans and gone over motor added considerable value...

Also:
1. Missing cooling duct/hose for alternator
2. Confirmed A/C compressor missing; looks like condenser missing, too
3. Non-OEM wire in front of fuel pump holding something in place
4. Unsightly rusty screwheads on steering wheel hub
5. Torn up rubber drip edge on drivers side targa top (that rubber strip is NOT cheap!).
6. Missing drivers side sun visor.
7. Too many misrouted hoses and wires in engine compartment.
8. Pet peeve: 10 year old dust in the HVAC vents!

On the other hand:
1. Amazingly unmolested underside of the footwells--usually these are banged up or worse used as jacking points at clueless shops.
2. The nicest set of original frunk and runk badges I've seen. Some detail work with an ultrafine polishing compound could really make them look special.

Last edited:
So are you guys saying this is actually an $18,000 X when all the problems are fixed. Sheesh, I'll stay with my under $1,200 Xs….which look like under $1,200 Xs but run rings around stock Xs and I can sleep well at night.

So are you guys saying this is actually an $18,000 X when all the problems are fixed. Sheesh, I'll stay with my under $1,200 Xs….which look like under $1,200 Xs but run rings around stock Xs and I can sleep well at night.
It all depends on what you want.
If you are realistic you'll have a lot of $ invested in just a paint job. Figure you have to add in rust repair, engine/trans rebuild, interior refurb, suspension rebuild, brakes, cooling system, and my fav - AC system rebuild, and you'll have at least $18,000 in a restored car. And that discounts almost all of the little items listed above. Oh, and then there is the time and effort to account for. Of course the final cost is dependent on what you start with but if you start with a typical car you'll blow way past $11,000 just to get the average car to where this '87 is now. You could think of this car as a way to get a good head start on getting you to the car you really want. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than the average car. If you want a perfect car, get your finances in order then start the search. There are some really nice cars out there, you'll likely find one if you really want one. If you want a project, well, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one of those. Just be realistic about how much time, effort, and $ it's going to take to make a project what you want - if you want a perfect car.
As for sub $1,200 cars...$1,200? What ever happened to sub $500 cars? How about a sub $500 car that runs rings around those snooty sub $1,200 cars...

Perfect timing & setting for that seller.

No competition with other X1/9s for sale currently.
THREE bidders towards the end bidding each other up. BOOM..

Sounds like there are two disappointed bidders left on BAT. Maybe I should put my 85 up there today. :)

It will be curious-interesting to see what happens to the exxe now and in the future. $1200 will not get a properly rebuilt transaxle or properly built performance Lampredi SOHC for the exxe. There are those who tout installing an alternative power train at lower cost, reality is the alternative power train will cost FAR more than just the alternative power train alone. This does not include all of the details that must be ironed out before the alternative power train is viable or drivable.

There is FAR more than just the power train, everything from interior to exterior to suspension, electricals and more are required to result in a decent and worthy exxe. IMO, there is too much obsession with rust on the exxe as rust is only one small aspect of the whole.

Most any vehicle can be put back together, question is is there the passion, interest and more to do this. Making this task a bit more challenging today is the limited availability of GOOD_OEM parts or aftermarket parts equal or better than OEM.

Higher market values for the exxe can prompt the aftermarket to re-create needed bits, but given the history of repro parts, they are most often of vasty inferior quality, fit, finish and durability of OEM. Add to this the very common shabby restoration work that is done at absurd cost.

Bernice

Rat X cost me $600 but it was officially a parts car with title and had no drivetrain.
Flared X cost me $600 but by the time I sell off parts I don't want it might be free.
I rarely get my Fiats painted and it shows but I'm more interested in the mechanicals (my wife spends money on the grandchildren...and on their parents faster than I can spend them on my Fiats), my friends all have beautiful paint jobs and redone interiors and their cars look stunning. I'd rather spend the real money on my dd and so I have a very nice (stock) GTI.

The beauty of this hobby is we all play with the same model car and have ten different approaches to what we want with it.

Interesting stuff, got too rich for me. Not that I'm opposed to spending that much, but if I did it would be for a different one. Very fun to watch at any rate. I'll slink back into the ooze now. I'm enjoying my son's Porsche and Datsun, my wife's Miata, my motorcycles and my dad's '62 Galaxie (that "sold" on BaT until the buyer backed out!) so don't feel too bad for me. PLENTY to keep me busy. I do miss driving that X1/9 though, thought about it again on the way home, twice in fact; once on a sweeping on ramp that I LOVED to push it through, than again as I approached home at what my son and I call "Fiat's last corner" (the last one I took at speed before she got wrecked. Carry on.

Interesting stuff, got too rich for me. Not that I'm opposed to spending that much, but if I did it would be for a different one. Very fun to watch at any rate. I'll slink back into the ooze now. I'm enjoying my son's Porsche and Datsun, my wife's Miata, my motorcycles and my dad's '62 Galaxie (that "sold" on BaT until the buyer backed out!) so don't feel too bad for me. PLENTY to keep me busy. I do miss driving that X1/9 though, thought about it again on the way home, twice in fact; once on a sweeping on ramp that I LOVED to push it through, than again as I approached home at what my son and I call "Fiat's last corner" (the last one I took at speed before she got wrecked. Carry on.

this one flew under the radar on eBay.
Of course don't think you want to be riding stealth black matte anymore.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Fiat-...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

'87 sans the plastic door guard stuff. I like it much better that way, but I would have to see how it was achieved. Looks like it may have been a cover-up.

I normally can't stand flat black, or any flat color for that matter (it's one of those fads that I wish would die already.) But I have to admit, that X looks pretty darn good in flat black. It really highlights the lines quite nicely.

'87 sans the plastic door guard stuff. I like it much better that way, but I would have to see how it was achieved. Looks like it may have been a cover-up.
Its an 86 just where that Vin # falls.
Also check the square buttons on the heater/ac control assembly. 87 started the round ones.
aluminum carpet threshold stopped in 86.

That 87 steering wheel was just an add on afterwards by the owner for coolness..:)

No offense to this car but I apparently gave away my 35k original mile car in early 18. It was replaced by the "right" 84 Spider I had been searching to find for years. Gotta give to get I guess.

I normally can't stand flat black, or any flat color for that matter (it's one of those fads that I wish would die already.) But I have to admit, that X looks pretty darn good in flat black. It really highlights the lines quite nicely.
I had mine in "matte" plasti dip, looked good I thought.
file_zps562d9711.jpg

Wasn't a perfect specimen but very nice nonetheless. Good to see Exxies rising in value and sites like BAT are helping to highlight them and connect interested buyers with sellers. Very encouraging.

I had mine in "matte" plasti dip, looked good I thought.

I, for one, like the satin finish. It is a bit smoother and crisper than a true matte finish. It also give the X a monoblock look that I really like, too. Good choice for an alternative paint color.

just had to show you this one..your pimp twin..:D

I would guess that wherever that car resides requires bumpers? The large slab of aluminum on the back is not much better than a 72 Chevy with a redneck timber bumper. Hah!

I, for one, like the satin finish. It is a bit smoother and crisper than a true matte finish. It also give the X a monoblock look that I really like, too. Good choice for an alternative paint color.

Paint job was cheap, done in my garage. Looked great for a couple months, slowly disintegrated (as expected), but it was really the only option at the time. RIP

Back