87X 3k Miles Mint, What would you be willing

RAGS747

Daily Driver
to pay for something like that? And would you be afraid of adding up the miles as it is almost a museum piece. You would think that you could keep her for 10yrs and at that point have maybe 23-30k miles at which point she has to be worth at least 10k minimum and possibly more with some price appreciation finally.

Is she worth 15, 20, 25k ? New Hyundai has to go for 15-20 at least.
Curious...

I'd say 10K minimum IF

If it was under cover (as inside a garage) and remains rust free.
My :2c:

Im with Bob on this one.> Its going to depend on condition. Take it from me. I purchased an 18 year old Ferrari with 4700 miles on it and It sat for almost 10 years. I had to do a bunch to the car to get it back to par. I spent 7000 on maintenance and an additional 4500 on Clean up to make it perfect...

Surprisingly, X's like that do come up every now and then... At the end of production cars sat unsold at US dealers, and it seems that many were just put in storage. From time to time they hit the market.

A few years ago I was considering one similar being sold by a guy up in Canada... had a long talk with him on the phone about the condition. And although it was essentially never driven, it was going to take a considerable amount of work to get it road worthy. If I remember correctly, it eventually wound up on Ebay and went for around $14k. I would not have paid that price.

Even though a car has been rarely driven, its value will still very much depend on condition and how it was stored all those years. That and people just don't seem to be willing to pay a lot for X1/9s.

...If you are looking for an investment car...

....DON'T buy a 3K mile X. It's just not that kind of car. Buy an X to drive and enjoy. Some of these guys here have $10-30K into their cars and they are 10X better than any ultra low mileage X...but also realize that their car will never get them 1/3 of their investment back. Over time (its been 20+ years already) they may go up incrementally, but Barrett-Jackson isn't begging for your 3K mile Fiat anytime soon. Might be a good find for an enthusiast that doesn't want to do the 5 year resto-job that a lot of us do....IF it is pristine.

Well this one is in Canada as well. I seem to remember seeing this one on ebay 2-3 yrs ago possibly. Looks brand new for sure, 3.8k miles. He is stuck at 25k, I was thinking 15k. Would love to have a "new" one but not at 25k. Stated that it is an 86 yet it looks to have an 87 interior and the 87 door bumper strips and the reah hatch is body color too, maybe very late 86?

Maybe this car has made the rounds here before and I just have not seen it, anyone here seen this car before? Looks real pretty in Rosso Micalizzato. She does look like she's as close to new as you can get.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BB4RE,
agree 100%. I am not looking to purchase for the purpose of having a museum piece but currently having 3 other "toys" makes it difficult to get more that 1-2k miles each at the most on the Biturbo and Vette, although I do get to do about 5k per yr on the Alfa. Northeast is so tough with only having maybe 7 months per year to enjoy. The two Italians are strictly summer cars...we know how salt and Italian metal go together. But seriously, Im just looking for a nice X that I can do my 1-2k miles per year cruising around...

My original thinking was even if you paid 20k and then 10yrs later were able to sell it for 10k it only cost you approx $100 per month...pretty cheap.

What makes a car great is the experiance it gives when you drive it. if it had 10 miles, I would drive the wheels off it.

agreed, I want to drive it. A few low mileage originals squirreled away in museums is enough, the rest should be driven so while it's worth more than most just because it's nice, to me, I wouldn't pay more than the going rate for an equally nice maintained one with more miles, because, well, I want to drive it. Low miles, undriven, unimproved "too nice to ruin" and a high price tag is a liability.

We discussed that Time Warp X at least

twice before... Just find a very nice example to DRIVE :D

An X like this will be too nice and should be left for Garage Queen status only. Even though it is basically new all of the hoses (RUBBER) etc. does not get better with age and you will be doing the same maintenance as with a very good 50,000mi. example for $4000... (brakes, injectors etc.)

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/5745/

http://www.andyspiders.com/1986 Fiat Bertone X19.html

It is worth whatever someone is willing to pay but I would think $15,000US would be the top end :bla:

Last edited by a moderator:
That one looks pretty nice and well preserved... but I still wouldn't pay $25K for it (Canadian or US).

Actually I wouldn't want it... its simply too nice. Given its a true time capsule, I would be afraid to drive it...

It's all a matter of what the car market will pay.

Not too long ago, American Muscle cars were C-H-E-A-P.. During the first OPEC oil crunch, many were abandoned to rust, crushed and given away for next to nothing. No one wanted to try feeding a gas hog on gasoline rationing.. Even back then, I knew American Muscle cars would be a good investment and I hand many, many chances to own more than I could ever want..

Fast forward to the here and now. A few years ago, before the world economic crash.. These same American Muscle cars were fetching millions at auction. Granted these are restored to new cars, but they are the same gas gulping, mass produced cars from Detroit that no one wanted back in the day..

All I'm saying is market demand sets a price on any particular car and it is based on perceived desirability more than actual content.

As for "New Old Stock" cars and parts.. Everything ages and degrades. While it might be possible to store a NOS car in a sealed nitrogen filed container to slow down the degradation process, it will never be as new. Even the sun will eventually nova and all of human existence will be completely wiped away and forgotten...

So, I have always believe it is best to enjoy your favorite what ever when possible. In the case of cars, care for them properly and they can give back in return the joys their creators put into them.

As for the X, it remains one of the very best fun -vs- cost two seaters to this day.. Maybe one day, the rest to the car market will discover them and paying over 25K for one becomes typical.. Regardless, I really don't care if this happens or not, I'm just going to "Enjoy The Ride".

Bernice

That one looks pretty nice and well preserved... but I still wouldn't pay $25K for it (Canadian or US).

Actually I wouldn't want it... its simply too nice. Given its a true time capsule, I would be afraid to drive it...

Even the sun will eventually nova and all of human existence will be completely wiped away and forgotten...

Good point, but I bet it won't take quite that long for us to be wiped out...Enjoy the ride indeed, for in 100 years we'll all be dead anyway :)

The idea of Chump Change alters the amount

to pay for something like that? And would you be afraid of adding up the miles as it is almost a museum piece. You would think that you could keep her for 10yrs and at that point have maybe 23-30k miles at which point she has to be worth at least 10k minimum and possibly more with some price appreciation finally.

Is she worth 15, 20, 25k ? New Hyundai has to go for 15-20 at least.
Curious...

I think it is agreed that $4500 to $6500 buys a pretty nice X19. Top dollar is $10-$12k. Anything more is too much, but of course if you have the money and don't want to wait for that perfect car at $10k and if an extra $10,000 is chump change, then you pay $20,000. When I bought my X I paid $5800 when the market was perhaps $5000. For the extra $800 it did not matter to me. To the next guy an extra $10,000 may not matter. At the end of the day if one guy overpays it does not change the market. There is NOT a line of people waiting to pay that much for a Fiat. Even $5,000 is a big number for an X19.
Just my opinion.
Bob T.

Since X1/9s are so cheap buy the original unrestored low mileage and keep it that way and own a piece of history and then buy a 2nd X that you can enjoy and drive.

You guys are all basically correct with what you are saying. At 25k its a definite forget about it but at 15k I would be having a lot of conversations with myself and starting to float the idea with the significant other :).

The fact is its really not a great time for me to be pulling the trigger on anything. Currently having the house painted at 20k, I've got a friggin electrical problem in my bedroom that popped out of nowhere 3wks ago, circuit breaker tripped and from there I basically have had the whole bedroom ceiling/walls torn and ripped apart by the electrician with still no fix. Money is going out the door faster that I can print it.

Anyway, its hard to justify 25k when the new Abarth 500 is just around the corner in the same ballpark...hopefully. This conversation has already taken place with the wife.

I actually think the longer this guy holds the car the more difficult it will be to sell anywhere close to his price with the new Fiat's coming at the end of this year. His is a very specialized market, but again at 15k I would be thinking about this car alot and at 12k I could see myself pulling the trigger.

Anyway thx all for letting me vent. This electrician is really pissing me off.

20K to paint a house?

Whatcha have, a 6000 square foot home?
I'm vinyl-siding my 2800 Sq. Ft house for less than that!

Bob, and that was the low estimate. Just a very expensive area to live in and all of the contractors know it. Cant wait to downsize in 4-5yrs...somewhere with way cheap property taxes and a 3 car garage!

My wife had me drive by a house today, all I saw was an attached 2 stall AND a three stall sitting beside it. SOLD.

Back