A/C Compressor

Dr. Jeff, any thoughts on who would be able to do a non-AC to AC conversion? Could a regular AC shop handle it? Any ball park on the cost? I’m in Miami and as much as I love this car, six months of the year it’s just too hot.
I can fully appreciate the need for AC. It can be difficult with most vintage cars that either never, or rarely, offered AC. Especially tiny ones with odd drivetrains; they simply don't allow many options due to the lack of space. But I've managed to install AC in a few old vehicles. In some cases I was able to source enough factory components to build off of. In other cases a aftermarket "packaged" system was easier. It really depends on the specific vehicle. But definitely in all cases some fabrication work was required to make it a more "modern" system that is significantly more efficient than the old ones were.

I do all of my own work so I really can't offer any info about labor costs. The needed components can be purchased as "universal" items for much less than any direct replacement parts from any specific vehicle. Off the top of my head some examples of items I've purchased in the past are: Sanden compressor around $100, parallel flow condenser $35-40, receiver/dryer $10-15, expansion valve $10-15, trinary switch $10. But that was pre-COVID and it seems all prices have skyrocketed since then. And if the AC shop supplies everything then it will be double or triple that for their markup.

A good AC shop should be able to handle it. I'm guessing Miami is similar to Las Vegas with a LOT of very experienced AC specialty shops around. But it would be a tremendous help if you can source a couple of specific components first. Like the compressor mounting brackets for the SOHC engine, the X's AC style heater box and controls, and any changes in drive pulleys, water pump, etc, that you want to do with it (there's options for how everything might be configured). Maybe also offer them some information on how the basic factory system was laid out if they've never seen a X1/9 before.

The labor will definitely be the most costly factor. Do you do any wrenching on your X? If you have basic mechanical skills then you could do some of the ground work. Like installing the heater box, compressor brackets, pulleys, and related mechanical parts. Then let the shop finish out things like the hoses/fittings, hookup, charging, etc. That will reduce the overall cost SIGNIFICANTLY by making their job much easier.

Last edited:
I can fully appreciate the need for AC. It can be difficult with most vintage cars that either never, or rarely, offered AC. Especially tiny ones with odd drivetrains; they simply don't allow many options due to the lack of space. But I've managed to install AC in a few old vehicles. In some cases I was able to source enough factory components to build off of. In other cases a aftermarket "packaged" system was easier. It really depends on the specific vehicle. But definitely in all cases some fabrication work was required to make it a more "modern" system that is significantly more efficient than the old ones were.

I do all of my own work so I really can't offer any info about labor costs. The needed components can be purchased as "universal" items for much less than any direct replacement parts from any specific vehicle. Off the top of my head some examples of items I've purchased in the past are: Sanden compressor around $100, parallel flow condenser $35-40, receiver/dryer $10-15, expansion valve $10-15, trinary switch $10. But that was pre-COVID and it seems all prices have skyrocketed since then. And if the AC shop supplies everything then it will be double or triple that for their markup.

A good AC shop should be able to handle it. I'm guessing Miami is similar to Las Vegas with a LOT of very experienced AC specialty shops around. But it would be a tremendous help if you can source a couple of specific components first. Like the compressor mounting brackets for the SOHC engine, the X's AC style heater box and controls, and any changes in drive pulleys, water pump, etc, that you want to do with it (there's options for how everything might be configured). Maybe also offer them some information on how the basic factory system was laid out if they've never seen a X1/9 before.

The labor will definitely be the most costly factor. Do you do any wrenching on your X? If you have basic mechanical skills then you could do some of the ground work. Like installing the heater box, compressor brackets, pulleys, and related mechanical parts. Then let the shop finish out things like the hoses/fittings, hookup, charging, etc. That will reduce the overall cost SIGNIFICANTLY by making their job much easier.
Thank you very much for this thoughtful reply. It’s a lot to consider. I’ll talk to a couple of shops. In the meantime, the weathers good for another month or so. I’m going for a drive!

Back