a good under carpet insulation replacement?

fiatmonkey

Tim Hoover
My car had a few leak spots that have ended up letting water pool inthe traditional spots at the driver and passenger floors.

I have the leaks under control however I now have to deal with removing and replacing the under carpet insulation. The car already has a terrible smell from all the dampness.

Anyone have a good and preferably inexpensive insulation replacement they would reccomend? I am not partial to really anything.

Thanks,
Tim

For cheap..

Call a carpet installer, they must have piles of scraps you could choose from. Recycled foam, wool, latex, there are many types out there.

I bought this dense foam insulation - you can use dyna-mat, but that isn't inexpensive, and this can be removed (which helped in my case, as I slowly eliminated all the water leaks). I bought it off a friend who bought it at a Carlisle car show in PA, but you should be able to buy it online.

X19floorPanRepair0015.jpg

This JC Whitney item looks like it...

That looks like a good replace and improvement. The JC Witney product gets good reviews but not easy to cut. Was the case with the dense foam stuff your buddy sold you?

Thanks guys

I bought this dense foam insulation - you can use dyna-mat, but that isn't inexpensive, and this can be removed (which helped in my case, as I slowly eliminated all the water leaks). I bought it off a friend who bought it at a Carlisle car show in PA, but you should be able to buy it online.

This JC Whitney item looks like it...

Mine was easy to cut with good scissors - so I guess not the same as the JC then... I only needed two rolls to do the whole floor & the spare tire cavity.

X19floorPanRepair0017.jpg

Insulation

Joe: Is the material you used foil on both sides? I used the JCW stuff on another project and it was easy to use but I put the foil side (only one side) toward the engine compartment. And the sound insulation qualities were not dramatic. This was on a 600 which is a real "drum". Otherwise it was easy to cut and form, used there recomended spray contact adhesive.

Back