A Pleasant Insurance Surprise

Jeff N

Your Mileage May Vary
So I finally got around last night to filling out the online application for Hagerty Insurance. I had been paying $85 a month to Progressive, but just hadn't gotten around to switching over. I didn't qualify previously because one of my son's didn't have his own car, but remeided that this summer, so now I'm good to go.

I filled out the application and for the agreed value I filled in what I thought was a pretty generous $4000 value. I mean, I think the car's in pretty decent condition, but definitely not prize winning or anything. I uploaded a couple pictures and submitted it all, no problem.

I got a call today from the insurance rep who said she had a couple questions, basically just confirming that my kids have their own cars to drive, etc. She then informed me that their policy was that cars built in the 70's had to have a value of at least $5000. My first thought was "Oh crap, there goes that", but then she continued on to say that she had checked the book values and that if I didn't mind she would up the agreed value to $5000 and the policy could start today!

So I'm now paying $152 a year (which is a mere $12.66 a month) for a car they agree is worth $5000. Needless to say, I'm a happy boy. :excited:

I have Hagerty's too

and paying $ 86 a year I think for $5,000 value.
The only downsides: the car must be kept in a locked garage, driven only for pleasure and car shows, (never back and forth to work), and kept under 2,000 miles a year.

No known mileage limit with my Hagerty policy and you should increase the value to 8K, I'm not kidding. Premium won't move but $5 and Hagerty won't balk. I'm serious. Call them back and bump it up. They won't care, they are used to insuring cars worth 10x. I increased my Midget from 6k to 8k and the premium STAYED the same and they couldn't have cared less. NADA is about 8K for a mediocre car, heck ask about $10,000.

Good for you, Jeff...

But listen to the advice given here... and also look into GRUNDY next time also.

I now pay $95 bucks a year and they have been automatically re-assessing my car every year... now to the tune of $8500 and asking like $1.00 MORE...

Grundy requires their drivers t be at least 27 years old but have no restrictions for mileage or shows and the like... you just have to have another car as a Daily Driver.

Every driver, every state, and other factors can make a big difference for ALL of us... I believe its worth checking into.

MY BIG WIN for this year was:

Insuring my '69 Vette with AAA's "Collector Car Policy for $200 bucks. Now valued at $35,000... when I added the car to my DD policy... it REDUCED my overall bill by $32 dollars a year!

HA!

Dey don'ts calls me "Mr. Frugal" fer nuttin'!

You might want to be careful though because Grundy wouldn't insure me because I wouldn't say I would ONLY ever drive the car to and from car events. Something like that. It would be very bad to be denied a claim because the wreck happened while you were on a grocery run or something.

I've got three with Hagerty

I've been happy with Hagerty Insurance. My 71 and 72 Spiders are covered, as well as my 86 X19. All very reasonable and I got the premium package for $85 more a year. It covers towing of ANY of my vehicles for 125 miles. I had to use them this year for my 72 when a crooked oil cap caused oil to foul my spark plugs. They flatbedded the car to the FFO for me, about 90 miles, no questions asked and were very prompt.

Agreed value for State farm as follows

Currently insured
69 Fiat 850 10,000Value 10 bucks a month
74 Dallara 10,000Value 10 bucks a month
80 porsche924 10,000Value 10 bucks a month

previous example
73 Jag EType. 50,000value 14 dollars per month

Locked garage yes. But no mileage restrictions and I can drive it anywhere I want. Work is fine.

Welp... In CA/AZ at least... there are no...

... repeat, NO such restrictions with Grundy.

Like I said... lots of different issues from state to state and driver to driver.

since I currently don't have a second car the X can only be listed as a DD. I'm paying something like $90 a month through Infinity auto insurance with several points on my license and an agreed value of $10,000.. maybe its 12K :confuse2: I'm going to get Grundy next year once I switch plates to antique/vintage no emissions testing + tax and insurance breaks AND I'm picking up a Saab tonight and I called the insurance rep to get it added on. Adding the Saab is actually going to drop my rate by like $20 a month :excited:

No Mileage Limit

I'm aware of either with my Hagerty policy. As far as a requirement for being garaged, I'd have to check. But the X's limited corrosion warranty expired long ago, so I keep it garaged anyway. When they called me with the questions, they wanted me to send insurance documentation to show a different car as the DD. She asked me about driving to work and I told her a few times/month as you gotta take advantage of every opportunity to drive with the top off and the $hit eatin' grin on. She didn't have any work driving concerns with that. Saving big over Allstate.

Mike

Back