A PSA about KYB shock absorbers

Oh, great. I bought a pair of KYBs for the rear of my 850 Spider about three years ago from a private seller (who does know Fiats) on eVilBay. They have worked very well. Let's hope I don't suffer a structural failure as described in this thread.

I installed a set of those KYBs on my 71 spider ~6,000 miles ago. I checked today and the mounts are fine, but I ended up switching to a set of red "stiff" shocks that one of the vendors sells (had them in storage for years but never got used them). Will be interesting to see how the ride compares. Loren

I would doubt anyone is making new shocks specifically designed for 850s, just not enough demand. So any shock you find is probably just one with the right length and end mounts. Or they have been sitting on a shelf, still in the box for 50 years.

When I had my Konis rebuilt they told me it would be the last pair they would rebuild as they were out of the specific parts and there wasn’t enough demand to justify reproducing them.

I did something similar with the gas shocks on the rear of my coupe. After a bit of measuring I extended the upper brackets so that the shock absorber operated mid-range.

Attachments

• 100_6457 (2).jpg
    100_6457 (2).jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 79
tempImage8QtL8s.jpg

Fully compressed the rear KYB's measure approximately 12" from the eye to the washer....the Sachs 10" and the Boge 11". I wish I had an OEM and a Koni rear shock to measure....

A side effect of the KYB's is that one had to jack the rear up much more to R&R a wheel as the shock serves as the limiter for the rear suspension.

View attachment 64166
Fully compressed the rear KYB's measure approximately 12" from the eye to the washer....the Sachs 10" and the Boge 11". I wish I had an OEM and a Koni rear shock to measure....

A side effect of the KYB's is that one had to jack the rear up much more to R&R a wheel as the shock serves as the limiter for the rear suspension.
The shock in the center of your photo looks like an 850 rear shock, the one on the right looks like an 850 front shock.

OEM 850 shocks were Boge, RIV or Wayassauto brand.

I should have a Spax, Koni & OEM unit I could measure, if I can remember to do so next time I go to my storage building.

The shock in the center of your photo looks like an 850 rear shock, the one on the right looks like an 850 front shock.

OEM 850 shocks were Boge, RIV or Wayassauto brand.

I should have a Spax, Koni & OEM unit I could measure, if I can remember to do so next time I go to my storage building.
I believe you are correct about the front shock....thanks for pointing that out! I would be interested how OEM and Conies' measure.

Back