A question about the targa tops...

WantAnX1/9

Stuck in gear, leaking fluids, fire in progress...
Were all of the targa tops for the X 1/9 interchangeable, or were there any changes throughout production?

I have a guy who has some parts locally, and a 2nd clean top is never a bad thing to have...

Anyone know?

Thank you.

Early and late tops are not interchangeable. From Midwest-Bayless: "1973-75 cars used a different weatherstrip (and different contour on the leading edge of the top). "

I believe the late style originally came without a headliner, and then several years later a headliner was added. These two types are interchangeable.

And for the ultimate X1/9 targa top, search these forms for "Saratoga Top".

The 74-75 cars had a different front lip compared to the 76-88. The seal at the top of the windshield was also different.

Early and late tops are not interchangeable. From Midwest-Bayless: "1973-75 cars used a different weatherstrip (and different contour on the leading edge of the top). "

I believe the late style originally came without a headliner, and then several years later a headliner was added. These two types are interchangeable.

And for the ultimate X1/9 targa top, search these forms for "Saratoga Top".

Thank you, NG! I know of the clear Saratoga top...just about unobtainum now...

The 74-75 cars had a different front lip compared to the 76-88. The seal at the top of the windshield was also different.

Thank you, Jim!

Now, I wonder how I can tell the difference...

If you don't need a headliner, find a top without it. It just adds weight you have to sling around. I guess if you buy a car with AC you will want the headliner.

Saratoga top = 16lbs
78 Stock top - no headliner = 20lbs
86 stock top - with headliner = 25lbs

Last edited:
If you don't need a headliner, find a top without it. It just adds weight you have to sling around. I guess if you buy a car wiht AC you will want the headliner.

Saratoga top = 16lbs
78 Stock top - no headliner = 20lbs
86 stock top - with headliner = 25lbs

The longer I stay here, the more I love this community. You guys actually weigh the targa tops! Ha ha!

If I want to be cool, I will roll the windows down, take off the targa and/or just drive faster!

Ironically, I am hoping I get an X without A/C. More weight savings, and less to go wrong.

20-25 lbs. is a substantial weight savings, actually. It also will lower the center of gravity that much more...Interesting.

I hope I can snag this top for 100-200. He has some other bits too I am interested in picking up, depending upon condition...We'll see!

Were all of the targa tops for the X 1/9 interchangeable, or were there any changes throughout production?

I have a guy who has some parts locally, and a 2nd clean top is never a bad thing to have...

Anyone know?

Thank you.
I put a top from an '85 (has a nice headliner) on a '74 by installing the '85 front rubber seal on the '74. Works fine. Just use the seal that goes with the top, early or late and they interchange.

I put a top from an '85 (has a nice headliner) on a '74 by installing the '85 front rubber seal on the '74. Works fine. Just use the seal that goes with the top, early or late and they interchange.

Thank you, Mike!

Back