Abarth Boost at high altitude..

ecohen2

True Classic
Hi Folks,

I am fortunate enough to have both an X1/9 and an Abarth. My Abarth lives in Boulder Colorado and is pretty built up. I am having an issue with the boost surging and then cutting out. I have the MM piggy back ECU and a FORGE turbo actuator.

I tried pre-loading it more than a couple of turns but that made the problem worse. This morning I went back out and pre-loaded the actuator about 1 turn. This seems to have helped things quite a bit.

I seem to be able to hold 22 PSI of boost with no problem, but that is by gradually rolling on to the gas. If I accelerate hard, the boost gauge bounces all over the place.

My question is, how much does altitude impact our cars?

Thanks,
Ed

Problem solved...

If you are running a non-stock actuator then you do NOT want to preload the waste gate nearly as much if at all. Mine is now set at 1 turn from being perfectly lined up. Second, you must reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

I did about 20 minutes of non-aggressive driving at little to no boost and then gradually started increasing how hard I pushed the car. The ECU has figured it out and the car runs perfectly..

Ed

Problem solved...

If you are running a non-stock actuator then you do NOT want to preload the waste gate nearly as much if at all. Mine is now set at 1 turn from being perfectly lined up. Second, you must reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

I did about 20 minutes of non-aggressive driving at little to no boost and then gradually started increasing how hard I pushed the car. The ECU has figured it out and the car runs perfectly..

Ed

Nice done...

Back