AC Heat Shield

bbrown

Bob Brown
A couple folks requested a photo of this... just posting.

acheatshieldsm.jpg

Thanks Bob.

Interesting that the engineers elected to create such a complex shape instead of just extending the bracket a bit further away from the compressor so a circular heat shield would clear.

That's what I intend to do with mine. I ordered some 5/8" standoffs from McMaster Carr at the same time I was getting a bunch of other stuff. One of these days I'll drill out the rivets holding the original heat shield and replace them with the standoffs, secured with stainless screws and star washers. Then I'll fabricate a disc from light gauge aluminum and cover it with an insulator, securing it to the standoffs with stainless nuts and star washers. That should provide better protection for the compressor and using nuts/washers means the shield itself will be easy enough to remove for access to the compressor and its brackets.

Dunno how much it'll help the effectiveness of the AC system but it should help with compressor life. I intend to insulate the low side hose in the engine bay as well, which I do think will help the AC work better.

Cheers,

///Mike

Back