AC-Heater Inlet Flap Wanted

LarryC

Curator of #10105275
Anyone have one off a parts box? Mine is a bit done with
inlet_heater_flap_zps612b2c5b.jpg

This is what I need
AC_Heater_box_schematic_zpsb6ac41c2.jpg

Chris's point is well taken...

Yours just needs tlc. Clean with degreaser, soak overnight in vinegar to remove the rust. Sand, repaint, lube, reinstall for another 30 year's use.

Well, what is not obvious from the picture

is the fact that the crimped hinge is rusted through in a couple of places. So the metal is thin and could easily seize up again at any time. Which, considering the box must be removed to fix, I would rather not have happen. Nonetheless, I could do some surgery. But it would not be up to my standards. Given all the likely donors out there in better shape, I would prefer to start a bit fresher. I should mention that I had to put the hinge bar in a vise and use liberal amounts of Liquid Wrench to get it freed up. The design is such that water will get in that hinge again.

is the fact that the crimped hinge is rusted through in a couple of places. So the metal is thin and could easily seize up again at any time. Which, considering the box must be removed to fix, I would rather not have happen. Nonetheless, I could do some surgery. But it would not be up to my standards. Given all the likely donors out there in better shape, I would prefer to start a bit fresher. I should mention that I had to put the hinge bar in a vise and use liberal amounts of Liquid Wrench to get it freed up. The design is such that water will get in that hinge again.

I use a torch to get it free, then pry the sheet metal slightly off the shaft with a small screwdriver. Then I force in antisieze compound so everything is well coated...
It won't fix rusted thru, but it prevents it from siezing again within our lifetimes and my climate!
Chris Obert

Well, gosh darn

Here I am trying to spend money and everybody is trying to keep me from spending any. Since we only got a total of about 4 inches of rain here last year, I suppose I might be able to get by with a rust fix. Just for that I am going to go out and buy something else from Chris and Matt.

Back