AC Heater Valve replacement with Generic valve

KBabcock

True Classic
I just finished replacing the heater valve in my 85 X1/9 with AC Heater box. I'll start off with saying that was a nightmare of a job due to two things. One, the location of the old valve is a royal pain to get to, makes the paddle box look like easy access. Two, a OEM replacement valve is no longer available so had to figure out what valve to use. I'm hoping I can save the next member some pain but outlining what I have done, so let's start with the replacement valve.

The old valve is a 90 degree valve made of metal, it is a plunger type and mounts to a bracket on the back of the heater box. See this excellent post by LarryC on the AC Heater box. It was super helpful and gives you a good look at the old valve and where it is mounted.

Here is a picture of my original valve from the drivers footwell. The 90 degree rubber heater hose is attached to the feed pipe, the other hose exits the other side of the valve up to the heater core. The black cable running down the center is the push-pull control cable. To see this you have to jam yourself to the base of the foot well with your head resting on the clutch paddle then try to reach in. Imagine yourself working inside a child size coffin with a 8"x8" access hole you need to reach into work.
1630963759806.jpeg

When I started the job my first thought was, go with another 3rd party 90 degree valve and mount it in the same location. This idea was ditched when I removed the old valve and found out how hard it is to reach and work back there, this lead to to decisions.

1) I am moving the valve location, this brought up the question of where to. You have to think about 3 things, the two connecting hoses and the push/pull cable. This greatly limits the locations. I looked at setting it up above the center tunnel and under the heater box lots of room, easy cable access but it would require a molded "S" shaped hose to the heater core which I had no idea where to find one that would fit so I choose the passenger side of the heater box.

2) I am going with a straight through design, these are far more prevalent and fitted the mounting locations well. I did a great deal of searching and researching before I selected following valve.

Four Seasons 74627 Heater Valve​

1630956459519.png

This vale is inexpensive, well made, an in line design with metal attached cable bracket. It's valve arm sweep is 1.4" where the original was 1.5" so it is a close match. This allowed normal heater level control operation at the dashboard. It can be mounted or left unmounted and it will work fine.

So here is a quick drawing showing where the old valve was mount and where the new valve will go from a top view. Please note the in let pipe in the first picture should be closer to the passenger side I drew it too far left.
1630964945648.jpeg
1630964960738.jpeg

So now that I have the valve picked out and its location identified I needed to get the hoses. For the intake hose that comes up from the center tunnel I used the same 5/8" 90 degree molded hose that was originally there (it was in good shape). You will need to trim the hose so the long end is the same size as the short end. Then mount it onto the intake side of the valve, the side opposite the cable mounting bracket. The valve has the flow of water identified on it. I found that mounting the hose on the valve then mounting the the hose and valve onto the inlet pipe works best. Before mounting it attach a piece of flexible heater hose 5/8" and 9.5" long on the outside of the valve. This pipe will attach to the top of the heater core on the side of the heater box. I attached this pipe last to the heater core and used a plyer to help work it on. I also put a little spit inside each hose to add with slipping them on.

Here is the new hose next to the old hose to the heater box.
1630966302860.jpeg

When you mount the 90 degree pipe it will be about 60 degrees off center towards towards the passanger side, this will be obvious as you mount it.

Now comes the push-pull cable. The current cable is too short to reach the new mounting location so will need to be replaced. I used the Midwest-Bayless

Heater Control Lever Cable - 42" CUT TO FIT REPLACEMENT (Fiat X1/9 All, 128, 124, 131, Lancia) - NEW

1630966745220.png

This cable solves two problems, First it is long enough to reach the new location of the valve and two it has pre-finished ends that fit the valve control arm perfectly. See picture below. You can see that the circular coil on the right fits the peg on the valve perfectly. You will need to obtain a couple of washers and a retaining washer as shown below, the pencil is where the cable goes in the mounting order.

1630967098199.jpeg
1630967170958.jpeg
1630967474514.jpeg

Now to get the cable in, you need to remove the old cable which means dismantling the heater controls on the dashboard as outlined in the manuel. This was a bid of a pain and I will mention that the instructions in the manual are good but missing details. The control unit (The piece that hold the levers and buttons) needs to be wiggled down and to the left to access a screw in the back where the red dot is on the picture. This takes some real fidgeting, look at the picture in the manual to see how it should look when moved out of the way. I can't even tell you how it finally came out because I tried so many different ways to move it. Be patient and know it does come out.
1630967647919.jpeg

Once you get it you will need to route the cable to the new valve. I ran the cable down from the control in the same path as the old cable then ran it under the heater box up into the top of the passenger compartment and to the valve. See pictures below it is the green cable coming out from under the heater box on the passenger footwell. This is the only part which I am not super happy with, due to the number of bends the cable is a little stiff to operate but I can't see a better route.
1630968474951.jpeg
1630968504346.jpeg

Below are pictures of the vale mounted in the new location. 1) Valve 2) inlet pipe to hose.
1630968606988.jpeg

1630968848302.jpeg

I hope this makes your installation easier, trying to figure out how to do this is half the challenge so you're halfway home, good luck.

Attachments

• 1630968645291.jpeg
    1630968645291.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Nice job. ;)

The heater valve isn't the only difficult part to deal with on the AC equipped X's. :confused:

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Nice job. ;)

The heater valve isn't the only difficult part to deal with on the AC equipped X's. :confused:
Well once I get the carpet installed and the FI worked out I plan to remove much of the AC hardware, hopefully that will mitigate some of the head aches....hopefully ;-)

Wow, just saw your post here about this heater valve, gonna pull my seats, easy enough, I used to do that to shampoo and vaccum, and check that I have the same setup, looks like a nightmare, putting a hand controlled valve in the engine compartment looks easiest as i've been doing!

This job has been on my list since I got the car because my adjustment cable has broken off the lever (or the leaver broke off the cable). I am wondering if anyone ever tried something much more low tech and labor intensive to reconnect an otherwise working valve - I aways wondered if I could sister a rod onto the existing valve arm (i'm picturing something like the legnth of a chopstick) -and have it coming out on the side of the air box such that If I needed to open or close it I could just kneel down outside the car and push the rod up or down. I would think a hole drilled in the rod to match up to the place where the cable would attach and then a ziptie or two on the remaining legnth of the arm. After replacing the cylinders on the pedal box the thought of working under there again is not appealing.

This job has been on my list since I got the car because my adjustment cable has broken off the lever (or the leaver broke off the cable). I am wondering if anyone ever tried something much more low tech and labor intensive to reconnect an otherwise working valve - I aways wondered if I could sister a rod onto the existing valve arm (i'm picturing something like the legnth of a chopstick) -and have it coming out on the side of the air box such that If I needed to open or close it I could just kneel down outside the car and push the rod up or down. I would think a hole drilled in the rod to match up to the place where the cable would attach and then a ziptie or two on the remaining legnth of the arm. After replacing the cylinders on the pedal box the thought of working under there again is not appealing.
I see what you are saying and it could work but reaching down would be a pain assuming you are talking about a AC heater valve. Those are located next to the foot wall so you would have to reach down to the bottom of the foot well to reach it. I highly doubt that can be done from a seated position. It would also not help resale of your car much as it would be a real duct tape solution rather thne doing it right. IMHO.

I see what you are saying and it could work but reaching down would be a pain assuming you are talking about a AC heater valve. Those are located next to the foot wall so you would have to reach down to the bottom of the foot well to reach it. I highly doubt that can be done from a seated position. It would also not help resale of your car much as it would be a real duct tape solution rather thne doing it right. IMHO.
Very true. It is an a/c car and I was thinking for the time being I would just kneel outside the car and reach in when needed. Right now its in the open position so any air that the fan blows in is hot, which actually works to help cool the engine on days like today. Just nice to have the option to blow ambient air as well but to repair it propertly is not top of my list.

Or mount one of these on the dash and route the hoses to it :p:D

View attachment 75780
I actually used one of those for my 64 Cadillac. I was in school and did not have enough money to replace the very expensive vacuum controlled water valve for the automatic climate control. I mounted it in the engine compartment and only turned it on when the weather got cold.

I actually used one of those for my 64 Cadillac. I was in school and did not have enough money to replace the very expensive vacuum controlled water valve for the automatic climate control. I mounted it in the engine compartment and only turned it on when the weather got cold.
You're not alone. I've seen other vehicles with it done that way several times over the years. :)

The other thing to think about is that the valve will fail as it is likely 40 years old so even if you did do this you still might have to bite the bullet a year later. This was a PITA job so I can understand you wanting to put it off. My problem is things like this bug me until I just fix it even if its not a real problem at the moment.

I replaced that valve once, on one of my cars. The next car that needed this, I decided that I could just live without heat.
But at one point, after several bottles of beer, I did consider running going with no valve at all, running the hoses straight to the heater core, and then installing an electrovalve on the feed hose in the engine compartment so that I could control it with a switch that would replace the dash light rheostat in the console.

A totally unserious idea, but if the alternative is to do this job....

Someone else had a similar thought to Eric's. But with a vacuum actuated control valve located in the engine bay. I don't recall if they ever tried it though.

Someone else had a similar thought to Eric's. But with a vacuum actuated control valve located in the engine bay. I don't recall if they ever tried it though.
My Cadillac vacuum actuated control valve worked great for about 10 years and then developed a leak which resulted in coolant making its way to the vacuum diaphragm and out the atmospheric vent hole. A replacement cost about what the car was worth at that point so I used the hardware store solution. I don't see why it could not work in the X. An electrically actuated valve might be easier to deal with unless the car already has a convenient vacuum supply.

Back