Access openings, starting when?

ng_randolph

Bjorn H
In what model year did the access opening between engine bay and rear trunk appear? Ditto for the distributor access opening in the spare tire well.

the rear rear one started in 79, and i believe the distributor one appeared in 75, but dont quote me on that distributor one.. i have a 78, and it has a distributor panel, and not the manifold access panel

My '76...

...had the plastic cover for distributor access but there was no hole in the metal bulkhead until I made one.

I don't remember when the fan was moved from the engine bay to the trunk but I thought it was in conjunction with the switch to fuel injection. TonyN has a carb 1500 car so he could tell you where his fan was. AFAIK, all FI cars have the opening from the trunk to the engine bay.

///Mike

The access panel trunk/engine bay was in all of 1500cc versions . Don't know if it was on any of the 1300cc versions. The fan did indeed move to the trunk with FI

75 had a dist panel

I know that.....It had an dist access panel but no trunk access panel. It did have holes to adjust the carb( 2 or 3 not sure).

Last edited:
BobR?

Was your '75 dist access panel cut all the way through the bulkhead, or did it only have the removable plastic panel?

Either there was no hole at all through the bulkhead on my '76, or it was really small. I remember cutting it out some 30 years ago, and it's still not as big as the opening on the 1500 cars.

///Mike

When I had to service the distributor

It was easier to pull the distributor, replace the points, set the dwell, and then put it back in. It was more acurate and you could lock the points in place. Pulling off the access panel just made it easier to pull the dist out..... I can't remember how large the opening was....almost 30 years back for me also...

Back