Acquired an X1/9

Scorpion12

Low Mileage
I purchased a 1987 Bertone x1/9 with 34,900 miles. She runs good and appears all original but has rust coming through at the bottom of the windshield. The original owner did a lot to maintain her but from what I can tell the last owner drove her and kept her outside for a little bit. Anyone have any advice on how to address this rust? I’m assuming taking the windshield out is a definite but how about the dashboard? I prefer not to if possible. Any input from people who have tackled this same problem before would be appreciated. Here are some photos. You can also see her from a previous sale at https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-bertone-x1-9/

Again any input would be great. Please don’t hold back and be honest. Despite what “Colonel Jessup“ thinks I can handle the truth!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_8416.jpeg
    IMG_8416.jpeg
    318.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_8411.jpeg
    IMG_8411.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_8406.jpeg
    IMG_8406.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_8407.jpeg
    IMG_8407.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_8408.jpeg
    IMG_8408.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8410.jpeg
    IMG_8410.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 84
I'm sorry, but if it's a keeper, you will have to remove the windshield AND the dashboard. In fact, the dash isn't that difficult, it's just time consuming. But you will find the rust you can see is just the tip of the iceberg. You will have to do a lot of rust removal and welding to repair. If you don't do the job correctly, I have seen cars with the windshield falling down inside the car. I think the rest of the car worth the trouble. BTW, I did it on my 1980 x19 25 years ago and I also own a white 1987 on which I'm trying to avoid the job, but the rust around the windshield is less than 10% of yours.

Welcome to Xweb Scorpion12! :)

You will certainly begin with pulling the windshield to see what's going on in there. Judging by those photos, be prepared for a significant rust repair. You could get lucky and it won't be as bad as it looks, but since we are being truthful, don't count on that outcome. :( You may need to source a replacement windshield frame and cowl section. Midwest Bayless can supply one if you need to go that route rather than trying to repair your existing frame.

Actions to take right now:
1. keep the car dry
2. look in the fuse tray in the passenger footwell and see if it shows signs of water intrusion

When the windshield area shows that much rust, it usually indicates that water is getting into the lower windshield channel and staying there. Eventually, the channel will rust through and the water will be able to get in behind the dash and work its way down. The fuse tray is is pretty good at holding water.

Good luck!

they won't ship those to Australia :)
At least Eurosport has the bottom side for you guys....

IMO, I would inspect the rest of the body carefully. If the windshield frame is the only area with significant rust it may be worthy of a transplant. On the other hand, if the body will require major work in several areas I would suggest trying to find a good body and consider swapping interior and mechanicals. Just one avenue to consider.
Regardless of what you decide, we’re here to help.

One other thing to look at - the fuse box. I believe your car has an unusual design, instead of a lot of wires it has folded flexible board kinda design. Very unique. If water gets into it, and it's very likely it did on yours, you could have all manner of electrical issues. If it hasn't been wet, don't lot it get wet!

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I checked the fuse panel and it is dry. I pulled the fuses and there is no sign of corrosion either. I checked under the dash and put my hand and arm all the way up and once again dry and smooth paint. Really could not see so I borrowed my buddies handheld snake camera and gave the underside of the dash a “colonoscopy.” Happy to say passed both the “finger“ and “camera” tests…no rot or rust!! I poked around the windshield frame where the rust is and did not break through the metal. It is definitely thin but the rust has not rotted through. Next step is to remove the windshield and see what the windshield channel looks like.
One other thing to look at - the fuse box. I believe your car has an unusual design, instead of a lot of wires it has folded flexible board kinda design. Very unique. If water gets into it, and it's very likely it did on yours, you could have all manner of electrical issues. If it hasn't been wet, don't lot it get wet!

Back