Adjusting toe

Larry

True Classic
I need to adjust the toe on the rear wheels of my '86 X. The car has felt a bit skittish (but not overly so) when driving in the dry. In the wet, it's downright interesting at times and I'd like to make it less interesting. :)

I'm using something similar to Akkana Peck's page - http://www.shallowsky.com/alignment.html

but I'm not sure what to change to adjust the toe on the rear wheels. I looked through Best Of, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks,

Larry
'79 X1/9
'86 X1/9
'81 Spider 2000

rear toe

The rod that has a small ball joint on the hub carrier end and the other end goes to the same place the control arm connects at the body of the car. use lots of your favorite liquid rust braking product (PB BLAST, W-D40) loosen the bolt that is on the small buckle loosen both buckles and than turning the center bar/tub looking deal will change the rear tow.

Racing8-8-04099.jpg

I use string method it works grate .get two jack stands one at the front one at the back of the car run the string from one jack too the other pull it kind of tout move the jacks so the string is just kissing the tier .take your time and be patient .

Racing8-8-04101.jpg

Racing8-8-04102.jpg

The more the floor is level the more accurate the more the string is strat and level the more accurate it will be. I like to have the string as close to hub height as possible.

Larry... Like RacerX... I too use the string method...

... with great success.

What I do a bit different is to use two jackstands at the FRONT of the car and then simply WRAP the string around the rear tires and back up to the front.

I adjust the front tires with about 1/8 of an inch toe in per side
and adjusted the rears to ZERO.

This seems to work well for me (on the street) but many suspension tuners have their own preferences, especially if they are racing or autocrossing. The BIGGEST problem generally is finding that you have one wheel toed-out of whack as compared to the rest... and the STRING makes this easy and clear to see.

Write direct if ya need more info...

My brother in law uses the string method

and had an interesting "tool" he uses during the procedure. He uses four cheapo smooth vinyl 12" floor tiles (the kind you stick to the floor), two under each of the front tires.

He smears grease on the face of one tile and then places the other face down on the first. So the two smooth vinyl sides are facing eachother and are stuck together with the grease. You place a set of tiles under each front wheel, then adjusting them is easier as you don't have to overcome the friction from the floor as much while you are tweaking them into position.

Seemed clever to me anyway. :)

I tried

I tried the rap around the back wheel thing but I didn’t like it because when your doing rear tow it just gets in the way I use 4 jack stands I feel its more accrete too.

You may have a point...

I don't remember the string being in the way... but its all relative... especially if your autocrossing and changing settings for different track conditions and what not. The string is just a GUIDE to let you visually see the differences and consistency would be the most important issue. Whatever works best for you...

Back