Aftermarket AC ???

SoTxCaiman

Hello all,

I am new here and found this form while searching for a X19 to buy. I originally owned an 1981 as a second owner. I had it from 87-91 and still regret selling it. I am interested in buying the 1980 listed in your FSW forum, but no AC is a deal breaker with me currently living in Deep South Texas. Does anyone here know of a decent aftermarket AC system designed for X19's?

Thanks to all in advance.

No...

If I were in the market for an X and needed A/C, I'd buy one with working A/C. Easiest way really. You could get one without and convert it but it's a lot of work, even though the cars came with the wiring.

Hey Tex... as Robert said...

I installed a kit in my '69 Vette that was a semi custom installation... using a Vintage Air aftermarket unit.

If I may digress a bit... Most cars, even the X, are kinda built around the evaporator unit!

Installing an A/C unit in an X is best done during a full "restoration". Custom brackets would need to be fabricated the entire stock heating system replaced with the combo evaporator unit. It could also be installed in the front trunk.

Unless you are willing to undertake this rather ambitious project... then I'd do as Gregory suggested and purchase one with at least a REPAIRABLE A/C system installed.

Compressors are easily replaced with current 134a models and the condensers and fans can be upgraded also.

Good luck with your hunt... and I'm not kidding here... I believe you'll find most A/C equipped cars in the Pacific Northwest or New England! Then ya have to deal with other issues...

do as Gregory suggested and purchase one with at least a REPAIRABLE A/C system installed. Compressors are easily replaced with current 134a models and the condensers and fans can be upgraded also.

Which is what I did when looking for a new X, it had to have an unmolested a/c system so I'd have something to work with. I replaced the standard R12 Sanden 508 compressor for a 134 unit and replaced the receiver/dryer. I've upgraded some hoses and as I have the system checked each spring, the plan is to upgrade more as I go. None of this was cheap, however. I've probably rebought the car again with what I've spent on a/c work, but summers in the DC Metro area are too miserably not to have working a/c.

John O.

Want mine?

I have a 1981 X that I don't use the A/C on. Many times I have thought about pulling it all out but just haven't gotten around to it. It does work...last time I tried it like 2 years ago. I want to get it out since I think it will run cooler in Ohio without it and that will also give me more reason to get into it to do some things I have been meaning to do for a loooooong time.

You can have it for just the cost of shipping it to you if you want. That would be hoses, compressor and the whole enchilada. It would be sometime this spring before I can get it out. Damn cold up her now!

Seems like I recall some issues back in my A/C evac days that if it's pulled apart some of the system can be damaged with moisture. Can you guys on XWeb tell me if that is an issue and how to solve that? I would like to get the parts to him in the best shape if he/she wants them.

Let me know if your interested.

Aaron...

The BIG thing is getting the evaporator out from under the dash... and living in Ohio, you'll want to have a heater I would suppose.

Also... removing all the hoses to and from the compressor... and to and from the condenser and the wiring harnesses and dashboard switches... a lot of work here!

As for moisture "damage"... well not necessarily. Moisture in the system indeed will not condense at the operating temps and pressures used so it will cause damage to the compressor if operated. But a properly evacuated system and a new dryer added PRIOR to charging the system is the usual and customary procedure that will prevent this.

It is indeed best to tape up all the ends of all the hoses and parts once they are removed to prevent any excess moisture and any other dirt or foreign particles from getting in the system.

Quite a project to remove ALL the parts... and you'll need a heater core package to replace the evaporator package also. I guess you could swap with Tex...

As I said earlier... I think its really too much to do unless you are about to do a thorough tear-down and restoration... for both of you.

Good luck with your decision.

Quite a project to remove ALL the parts... and you'll need a heater core package to replace the evaporator package also. ... I think its really too much to do unless you are about to do a thorough tear-down and restoration...

I have to completely agree. I found it hard enough working on the a/c system with everything in place. I can't even get my mind around trans-planting that mess of hoses and wiring (oh ya, don't forget there's A LOT or electrical work to do) into a car that wasn't originally set up for it. Good luck.

John O.

I pulled mine and ended up selling everything to Herzel in Israel who successfully transplanted it to his car. I replaced it with a non-A/C heater box.

Last edited:
Back