AI Bot Members

Steve Thomas

True Classic
Pretty clear we are seeing the tip of the spear in terms of AI bot members. [oliverhen and I think DominickKelley} Looking around the web, all forums are getting this... I have no idea how we handle it.

What happens when they self teach themselves to sound "acceptable"?
When Steve C gets all technical he can sound botish!
Fortunately no BOT will sound stupid enough to sound like me.

Our days of trusting stuff on the internet are over. We will need to go back to reading books and talking directly to each other. How will the young among us manage it!

Our days of trusting stuff on the internet are over.

The AI answers are not necessarily "wrong". (Unless they are cribbing from my posts 😎 )They tend to be very generic repetitions of information that was gleaned from our existing content. They may not apply to the topic, but the response is most likely based on our own words.

Remember back about a week or two ago when we were complaining about Xweb being slow. We found hundreds of bots "reading" all of Xweb, all coming from similar IP addresses. That's how these AI bots build the knowledge base for the content they will produce. Mark put up an IP block and that seemed to put an end to the flood of bots.

RE our two suspects, Dominick did respond to my PM and we had a brief conversation. That account has a real person behind it. I am sure oliver is also a real person. Oliver never responded to my PM, so take that for what its worth.

We could ban any AI suspects, but since they were able to create a registered account once, they would just do so again. Hopefully Xenforo will come up with some software upgrades to help us manage this before it gets out of hand.

I imagine a discussion of GL-1 V Redline would reduce an AI entity to tears, decide humans are inept and start the Matrix.

30 something and younger kids are unable to converse face to face with other people and deserve the on line info they end up with.

I imagine a discussion of GL-1 V Redline would reduce an AI entity to tears, decide humans are inept and start the Matrix.

30 something and younger kids are unable to converse face to face with other people and deserve the on line info they end up with.

Carl, as a 30-year-old who respects your opinions on Fiats, that's really disappointing to hear.

Any idiot who blindly trusts information they find online about the X1/9 without fact-checking it with a factory manual isn't going to get very far regardless of age. Face-to-face interactions aren't always reliable without a manual to reference either, people forget things. Forums like these are great because you don't have to blindly trust the one "Fiat Expert" in your area in the event an issue stumps you. If you can't just find the answer by searching the forums, there's a whole community of experts to argue it out until the issue gets solved. "AI" language model parrots adding to the white noise won't help anyone here in a meaningful way.

Thanks to everyone tackling the issue.

Pretty clear we are seeing the tip of the spear in terms of AI bot members. [oliverhen and I think DominickKelley} Looking around the web, all forums are getting this... I have no idea how we handle it.
Maybe ask Miles Dyson over at Cyberdyne Systems. He ought to know how to handle it.

OK, apologies @DominickKelley . But did you use a bot to compose some of your posts? No shame - just will help me to understand why I thought you were one, that you had been assimilated by the Borg.
I work with someone who tends to run things through cGPT4 with extra prompting to do their writing. It's fairly easy to tell because cGPT uses better grammar.

JT, you may not be typical of your generation.

I was an employee at the US Patent and Trademark Office for a tad over 40 years, half that time as a patent examiner and half the time as a supervisor of examiners. At the start in the early seventies almost all conversations between employees was face to face with maybe a phone call if they guy was in the adjacent building. By the time I left, examiners didn't want to come into their bosses office for a chat. It was explained to me that these kids were uncomfortable with actual face to face conversations and preferred I emailed them...even though they were two doors down from me.

Why do you send a text message the size of a long novel when it would be quicker to call someone? More importantly, why do I care? Can we buy artificial intelligence and inject it to make ourselves smarter?

Back