ALERT! XWeb will be offline for system upgrade starting 2020-05-14 at 15:00UTC/11:00EDT/08:00PDT

MarkF

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned a few weeks back, it's time to update the back end software that runs XWeb. We've been on the current major release now for 3.5 years but it's time to step up to a version that will allow us to have continued support, feature and security fixes.

There are a few interface look and feel changes (see below) but the general layout of forums is unchanged. User accounts, passwords, content, etc should not be affected.

I'll be shutting things down around 8:00am PDT on Thursday May 14 to start work. I expect it to take about 6-8 hours if things go the similar to the dry run. You may see the site up periodically during that time but it will be locked out. I'll post in the new forum once work is complete, as well as on the Son of XWeb group on Facebook.

Thanks all!
upload_2020-5-11_11-31-48.png

Good luck Mark, thanks for putting in the effort to make this happen.

Just FYI to the members, Mark has had the test instance of the new version up and running for a few weeks. I poked at it a bit and it works well. As Mark mentioned, there will be some differences, but everything should feel pretty familiar.

Any chance the X sections could be blocked together like the Other Models section is done? It would keep the majority of the main page on the screen of an iPad in landscape orientation (my primary object for accessing the web).

Or is there a reason for having them broken apart to allow for other future sub headings below the Discussions, Workshop, Events and For Sale ?

If it is set then it is set, just asking.

Any chance the X sections could be blocked together like the Other Models section is done? It would keep the majority of the main page on the screen of an iPad in landscape orientation (my primary object for accessing the web).

Or is there a reason for having them broken apart to allow for other future sub headings below the Discussions, Workshop, Events and For Sale ?

If it is set then it is set, just asking.
Hey Karl- Some of the layout (especially those original forums) is legacy configuration from XWeb v2 before we migrated off vBulletin and onto Xenforo. Changing the organization might have some unintended permissions consequences at this point - I can explore though.

I am pretty sure I can tighten up the spacing between the sections though - that should help . Will add to the list for tomorrow :)

Hey Karl- Some of the layout (especially those original forums) is legacy configuration from XWeb v2 before we migrated off vBulletin and onto Xenforo. Changing the organization might have some unintended permissions consequences at this point - I can explore though.

I am pretty sure I can tighten up the spacing between the sections though - that should help . Will add to the list for tomorrow :)
Thanks no biggie either way. Things change, some changes are better than others. :) in any case thank you for all you are working on around this place. It is one of the smoother web experiences around.

Lancisti’s site is for isht, painful to get around. Where this site is clear simple concise and easy to live with.

All the best

Karl

Back