All this talk about paint....

Carl_Auer

Groovy
really has me itching to paint my X. My original plan was to have it painted this winter, but due to not getting a job I was expecting, the funds are not fully going to be there. So, now I am looking at my options. I will be doing the suspension this winter, and I have some bodywork that needs to be done (nosecone and trunk pitted, a dent or two here and there, and some flaky paint). There is a good body shop close to my house, but for paint and body, I expect it to be in the $2-$3K range. I have not done body filler before, but have really been thinking about tackling it myself. My thoughts are, after I stop driving it for the winter, but before it gets too cold stripping the parts that need bodywork and bondoing that area. Then, while it is too cold, prep the body for paint. Sanding, masking, removing bits and pieces to get it paint ready.

Now, here is my real issue. Since I would not have the funds it looks to have a pro shoot my car, I am considering a black satin rattle can paint job. I did a black primer hood and trunk lid on my deck in Seattle, and I know this will be much more work, and I would much rather have a pro shoot it, but that money is not going to be there unless we get a HUGE PFD this year, which we probably wont.

I am thinking about Satin back, dechroming it with Beretone black pieces, and maybe even a window tint. I have not decided on the wheels. Steve Ambrose painted his Abarth's black, which looked real nice on his orange X, but I am wondering how CD-91's would look painted something like gunmetal.

Thoughts?

here is the paint job I want....

_T9S8051-1.jpg

Well Carl...

I know rodding has seemed to go in that direction as if it was somehing we ASPIRED to... but in fact, it was kinda like you... a matter of finances, and since we were always screwing with the car, we never had the money to paint them properly.

Hence, many stayed in primer, or in different primers.

Hence, (again) a rod was never really finished.

As for flat tones... the TRUE trend at SEMA and the like is a SATIN tone, usually a two stage paint with a satin tone clear-coat over the color coat.

If yur gonna rattle-can your car, especially in that region, I would at least consider a satin clear coat to properly seal the paint and make life a bit easier to keep it clean.

BTW... the favorite Black and Gold Dallara used a satin finish... and looked FINISHED and GREAT, IMHO!

The original one I remember, I can't find now... but looked like this, less the gloss! Th satin finish made it look very "RACE-ORIENTED", I thought... Squint a little and maybe ya can see what I mean.

Here... Found it... here is a great comparison... tell me what YOU think!

dallara_side.jpg

dallara3.jpg

Last edited:
I agree

Flat or satin paint makes the car more business-like and less show car.

Carl here are some flat shots...

I'm a month from painting the kit and still deciding myself :hmm:

I think Tony is spot on with the Satin finish :thumbsup:

matte.jpg

matte2.jpg

matte3-1.jpg

matte4.jpg

Back