Almost on the Road - Pics

Robert Mose

True Classic
Here are some pics I took last week in the driveway. The car is now moving under its own power. It sat and idled for an hour. I discovered that the oil pressure sensor was only finger tight but it ran beautifully.
Now its down to small details, some trim, finish the interior, I am waiting for Baja Bobs bumper brackets to arrive and the windshield need to be installed. A few more weeks and I should be driving it.

DSC_2753.jpg

DSC_2754.jpg

DSC_2755.jpg

DSC_2756.jpg

DSC_2757.jpg

DSC_2758.jpg

and yet another Yellow X is saved!

Very cool looking car, like the seats especially. Nice work and good luck. In a few weeks the weather should be good everywhere :)

Almost there! But looking awesome.

What wheels are you going to be installing ultimately?

Hey Robert...

I don't know if the front spoiler has been installed yet or not... or ifs its BLACK and I just can't see it.

Just sayin' I think it would look great in YELLOW...

Congrats otherwise... it sure has been some time!

Answers to questions

Larry: The wheels I will be using are Ronal R2s. I found them at a garage sale a few years back.
DSC_2787.jpg

Tony: You will be glad to hear that the spoiler is yellow. The front end is not quite finished yet. I will be installing 74 style bumpers with a 75-78 grill with an original steel spoiler painted yellow.

Chris: I decided to not reinstall the firewall insulation. I have not found a satisfactory economical substitute. Do you think I am making a mistake?

Robert... Good! As for the...

... insulation... I'm afraid SATISFACTORY and ECONOMICAL won't fit in the same sentence...

Unless yur a racer... yur gonna really want something there. Let us know what you decide on...

Looks great!

It is exciting when you get close to getting back on the road. May I suggest you look at these options for firewall heat and noise insulation. This aircraft stuff is made to save pilots lives, so it should work here.
http://aircraft-spruce.com/menus/ap/firewalls.html
In an aircraft an exhaust leak can burn through the firewall and cause a fire in the cabin. There are numerous cases of this occuring and airworthiness directives are issued to test exhaust systems for leaks to prevent it.
Keep the pictures coming.
Bob T.

It is exciting when you get close to getting back on the road. May I suggest you look at these options for firewall heat and noise insulation. This aircraft stuff is made to save pilots lives, so it should work here.
http://aircraft-spruce.com/menus/ap/firewalls.html
In an aircraft an exhaust leak can burn through the firewall and cause a fire in the cabin. There are numerous cases of this occuring and airworthiness directives are issued to test exhaust systems for leaks to prevent it.
Keep the pictures coming.
Bob T.

Thanks for the link Bob
There seems to be quite a few choices. Do you have any experience with any of them?. Is there one that you would choose over the others?

Thanks,

Insulation options

The aircraft stuff is geared more toward fire than sound, and sound is really what we need. I have used the "ceramic blanket" on an airplane but think the "thermo-gaurd FR" would be better for our application. Perhaps put a layer of "Dynamat" inderneath it. In the custom auto business I see that all the builders now days fully cover the interior cab with Dynamat. I have a 1966 Chevelle in the shop that is done that way. All in an attempt to reduce noise. The aftermarket guys just cover everything since there is no budget to research the optimum areas, and the material is cheap enough. Here is the Dynamat website. http://www.dynamat.com/products_automotive_dynamat_xtreme.html
I have used the Dynamat Extreme but the Dynapad looks good too.
Bob T.

Back