Almost paint time -- opinions welcome

I don't care for the factory two-tone schemes. Plus I want to give it a personal flair.

• I agree, it's very personal. I liked some 2-tone schèmes but I find the popular "solid color stripe in the middle" tend to camouflage the fact this was really the shape of the car. You could paint that on any other car and it would look good, but the X1/9 didn't need that. The only time I liked it is when I didn't not like the color...

I like to two tone mock up. Red plays well off the black and the interior will also mesh well with the overall scheme.

Your intended color lines are very close to mine with the lighter and darker colors reversed. Are anyone else’s out there following those paint lines vs the OEM style?

Also be weary of using different paints. Sometimes they don’t lay on each other very well or unless you allow for maximum cure time I believe.
I like the ladder striping kit on your car. Whats the back side of the car look like? Does the stripping kit go all the way round the back?

Can you also try with red targa top to see how that flows - and also with black windshield frame, so the red flows back in to the B pillar without the 'interruption' of the windshield frame?

I like the concept, details need tweaking, IMO. You can tape off a line on the car with a red tape & play with the exactly where it rises on the B pillar - it might be better proportioned if it is a tad deepper there instead of following the crease line.

This is the other option I was trying to find
MarkIrwin2.jpg

I like the ladder striping kit on your car. Whats the back side of the car look like? Does the stripping kit go all the way round the back?
I just realized I never provided you the picture you requested. I am not able to find a picture of the rear of the car. My phone crashed last year without me ever backing it up so I lost many pics of both car and engine build. I will try to remember to take another. Ping me in a few days if I don't respond with something over the weekend.

Back