Alternative interior door panel attachment

Coupefan

True Classic
Those little plastic door panel clips drive me nuts. I'm always breaking them for one reason or another, since I find myself going in there for one reason or another almost monthly. Has anyone tried any other schemes to attach the panels. Since the arm rest does a great job of securing the middle, and the chrome strip secures the top, Only the sides and bottom need a good connection. Tell me what you think of these ideas:

1. Jack nuts with floating threaded inserts. One on each side and maybe two at the bottom. Topped off with some fancy head screws. Gives it kind of an industrial look.

2. A few strips of strategically placed Velcro around the perimeter of the door panel.

3. Waste the kids college savings on a lifetime supply of OEM clips and keep a vacuum handy to suck up all the broken bits that keep falling in the door. :rolleyes:

I've seen some very small, incredibly strong magnets around. :huh:
That's a good idea, "rare earth" magnets are amazingly strong. I think you can get 'em at Radio Shack. I got a slew off ebay a few years ago and used them to hold emblems on the car while I tested fit and position. Glue a few along the inside of the door card and walk away. I like it. I'll try it. I have magnets and lots of busted clips!

Magnetic rain tray mod

I have been thinking about trying a magnetic rain tray mod using the strong little magnets. I think I would need some type of backup system during "testing". I would hate to have the tray decide to drop into the engine bay while motoring down the road. :)

I was thinking on top of the door card...

If they're strong enough, just placing them carefully on the surface may work. Alternatively, you could slip them between the upholstery and the card backing through the hole for the original clip, and some epoxy or silicone to keep it in place.

Magnets are what Apple uses on many of its devices to hold screens on etc. I have some very strong 1/2"D ones on my fridge that you can't pull off, you have to slide them to the edge to get them off.

Have mine..

With military grade velcro. No problems yet and it has been 6 years.

Threw the plastic clips away.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Must be a cheap college

Actually the clips are not that expensive. I work on a lot of cars and the price of a similar clip on any make or model is about 1.50 to 2.50 each. I agree though, when you need to buy enough for two doors it seems a lot. Bob T.

About magnets

The absolute strongest magnets on earth are Neodiniums. They are inseparable. Great idea.
I'd use a couple of guide pins to locate the panels and spread as many spall magnets around the frame. This way they'll be easier to take apart.
I'll do mine when time comes.

Enjoy -

Back