Alternator cooling duct needed

Ellychiprout

1986 Time Traveler X
I need the alternator cooling duct for my 1986 X. Anyone has one to sell? Or ideas for replacing it with something that looks stock. Thanks all !!!

The NAPA item I ordered from a local NAPA store looked perfect in the catalog, but when it arrived, it had a black paper exterior rather than a silver aluminized exterior.

Gates #28088 is very close to the OEM ducting.
Example: http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Gates-28088-HVAC-Control-Duct-Hose-/76110889
It's 1-1/2" inside dia x 36" long

[Corrected copy: originally I entered Gates 28089 as the part #, that was incorrect, 29089 is 1-3/" x 36". The correct part # is 28088, which is 1-1/2" x 36"]

Last edited:
Cooling duct

I was wondering, how does this duct actually cool the alternator? When the car is moving, some air may enter through the lateral intake and reach the alternator, but when the car is stationary, that doesn´t happen. The alternator´s mechanical fan doen´t seem to suck air through the duct, either. So I would like illumination in this respect. Thanks!

I think it's only under movement that air will flow at it, There should be a pretty significant updraft of air from below and out the engine vent anyway. Gotta wonder if it's really necessary (kinda like the injector cooling system). Tony's method of running it naked is probably a better overall cooling approach anyway. I went GM so I don't care anymore, I put the duct on anyway doesn't attach to the rear plate anymore of couse, just sorta ends right above it.

The mechanical fan at the pulley end pulls air in from the back end and through the alternator. I think the idea behind the rear shroud and cooling duct is that at least some of the air being pulled in through the back of the alternator should be cool, outside air rather than hot air from above the exhaust manifold.

Consulted the issue today with an experienced tech guy , and that´s exactly what he told me. So it´s a good idea to have it working as per factory design.

Regarding the injector cooling system, I bought the car with all components in a box. I fitted almost everything back, except the red flexible coupling and metal duct with two outlets that goes under the intake, because I don´t know how these parts go in there. Some help, drawings or pics would be appreciated. Can´t find the information in my manuals.

Some of the pics I took as I was disassembling the intake plenum and exhaust manifolds have part of the FI injector cooling duct showing, maybe will help you get yours installed.

You might have a heat shield bolted to the exhaust manifold, Dan's pics don't show it, mine rotted off.
It's hard to cram the cooling duct in there, I learned to keep the fuel hose clamps all pointed away from it. I refitted mine even though it almost never came on.

Alt. duct; still find it hard to believe the cap and duct is more efficient cooling than the road draft on a more "open" design. At idle (maybe where heat soak is most likely a problem) is where it might matter most so maybe that's why they did it. Some one should see if there's any "suck" through the side scoop when idling, probably hard to notice.

Thanks for the help. Still confused. The metal duct has two tabs with holes to pass bolts through. Where do these tabs go? In the two studs that protrude in the center between the intake runners? It is very difficult to position the duct so it fits in those studs. Do the air holes in the final assembly position point down? :eek:

As Matthew posted, it is a royal PITA to fit this duct when the intake and exhaust manifolds are already in place.

The air holes aim side to side so they can direct air laterally across the row of injectors.

Pic #1165 (the last one) gives you the best view of how the tabs and holes in the tabs fit over the inner plenum-to-intake runner studs.

Thanks for the help. Still confused. The metal duct has two tabs with holes to pass bolts through. Where do these tabs go? In the two studs that protrude in the center between the intake runners? It is very difficult to position the duct so it fits in those studs. Do the air holes in the final assembly position point down? :eek:

You can see the orientation in Dan's pics, I stole one and added this.
intakeduct2_zpsacef25bf.jpg

It is a pain to get on there. No wonder the PO had left it off and I struggled to get it back on. Now it's not so bad, it's a technique thing I think.

Thanks guys, I´ll keep you informed of my progress on this. Today I will install the radio, power antenna, clock and horns.

Back