Aluminum front grills???

geekdaddy

X1/9 Learner's Permit...
I've seen a few references here about an aluminum front grill that somebody (or multiple folks) were building and selling for 79+ X1/9's.

I'd interested in purchasing one -- can anyone point me in the right direction?

There was a fellow on eBay a couple years ago who was making and selling mild steel welded grills with aluminum spoilers. I bought a grill/spoiler set from him and it's a slam-dunk. This is what should have been on the car from the factory. Sorry, I don't remember the sellers name. The grill itself will outlast the car, I mean, you could hang bowling balls off this thing with no damage and it looks nearly identical to the stock plastic grill.

John O.

Could you post some photos please :hypno: Even though they may not be available anymore it would be nice to see in envy :)

'PeteX1/9

Well, it's on the car and looks pretty much like a stock grill except it's steel. Really not much to see there, that's why I love it, plugged/played, zero hassle and, unless you look VERY closely, you simply wouldn't know.

John O.

Those look awesome AND

I bought (what I believe was) the last one and it's currently on WYOX19's Trailer Queen. :p

Repro

Is this the one?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNdgT4m7AT4"]Reproduction Fiat X 1/9 Grill 13 & 14.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Anyone know how to contact him?

Email sent

I emailed Roadbox through EBAY and asked him if he was interested in another production run.

I am not sure how much he charged back then or wants for them now. In the video he said it takes about 10 hours to produce one grill.

I'll keep the forum posted after he replies.

Stephen

I don't have any on car photos (too dark --- stealth black doesn't photo well) but here is a TK grill "in progress" and an absolute work of Art :)
... even a limited edition numbered!

I also bought a set back in 09 from that eBay seller Roadbox is referring to is here ---> http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...tab=AllFeedback&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1183

Yup. Budgster is the man! Absolutely brilliant work. Interesting that the one I bought is steel and yours is aluminum, and the bulk of what he's made seems to be aluminum. I wonder what that's about. Honestly, even if I'd had a choice, I'd still have gone with steel even though heavier.

John O.

Confusion.

Nope 2 different grills for sure.The aluminum grills in the photo + Youtube are TonyK.
the steel ones were from Budgster and less than a handful sold on eBay.

I have both versions. While they are both sweet imo TK for the win :pimp:

I think Stephen meant he emailed Budgster and not you :doh:

Yup. Budgster is the man! Absolutely brilliant work. Interesting that the one I bought is steel and yours is aluminum, and the bulk of what he's made seems to be aluminum. I wonder what that's about. Honestly, even if I'd had a choice, I'd still have gone with steel even though heavier.John O.

Has anyone ever built a reproduction of the '75-'78 style front grille in Alluminum.:hypno: That would be truely awesome for those of us with the bumperless look.

'PeteX1/9

I have an original plastic grille, 75-81 with impact damper reliefs in good condition. $300 plus shipping.

X1/9 Front grill and spoiler

Hello All, yes I am one of the individuals who made the aluminum grills and spoilers. they were all made from aluminum, not steel, even yours Roadbox. The reason I even made these grills, was because my Wife ran into a coyote on the road in Tucson, and I could not find a replacement. I do metal fabrication work for a living and decided to make my own grill and spoiler and figured that some of you all, might be in the same boat, so I figured I would do a short run of parts and sell them on eBay. I sold all sets that I made. I was contacted recently through eBay regarding these Items from Stephen Syata about making some more, and responded that I would do a production run if there was a favorable response. I also watched the video of the making of the grills, and that must be the TK grills you all have mentioned. I am not sure if those are available or how much they cost, but one thing is for sure the process, and all of the individual pieces that we both made are basically the same. Our fabrication techniques are also very similar because we took measurements right off the original parts. the time for fabrication is right on, as to what was mentioned in the video. the only way to bring the fab time down is to do production run. this would help to keep the cost to a reasonable price. I went back and checked my feedback on eBay to see the details about what I charged. It looks as though I charged $300.00 plus shipping for the first set and then lowered the price for some of you because you needed the parts and were tight on cash. The cheapest price was $250.00. I did not make any more because it seemed like the interest in these parts was fulfilled for the time being. These parts are very much stronger then the original ones and if you want me to make more I will do so. I will probably have to charge more for a set, as
material cost have gone up ,do to inflation, and I will need some time to set up production again. I can also list them on eBay, But that will only drive the price higher, as eBay and PayPal beat me up on their
seller charges. If any of you have any interest in these parts you can email me at thehbarkid*yahoo.com I hope this answers your questions.
Thanks, regards Budgster

Interested as well.

My plastic brill is usable, but only because I have McGyvered a number of repairs and reinforcements. A new metal grill would be a nice addition.

I'm "in"

Lots of interest here (including me) for another run. Checkbook (er, paypal account) is open!

Back