Am I mad to want a 8.32 motor in my X1/9?

I love the idea of race cars on the street... behaving themselves, but still being themselves!

As for the beauty and the beast syndrome... I too own another, a beast also, in the form of a '69 Vette.

Those old Vettes are beauties.

As for the first part of your quote....this is one of my summer street legal toys... 825 pounds and 120 hp. It never crossed my mind to put the 8.32 engine is this thing...however, it would be interesting to see a 8.32 in a X for sure.

65vw.jpg

Last edited:
Back in the 70's.. there was an article about a F5000 race car turned into a street car.. A few years ago, a Lotus 23 appeared at one of the local car shows.. this was also a "street car" complete with CA plates and current reg..

This is the proper way to make a "fast" street car. It's easier to take some race cars and make them street_able, rather than trying to make a street car go "faster..

Now that is crazy!

HA!

Be careful!

Not really, this engine has been installed in the Lancia Scorpiacarlo..
doing one in the X would be a very, snug fit..

When considering V8 power for an X.. this might be better:
http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562068.htm

or

http://www.powertecengineering.com/

Both designs use Hayabusa cylinder heads Hayabu

I have a twin cam Thema motor that I plan to put into my X1/9... and have had a quick look at the Thema 8.32 engine bay compared to the twin cam 2.0 bay, and can't see why I can't eventually put the Ferrari 3L V8 in.. I'm starting to think this would be an ultimate conversion.
I am mad :eyepop:

HA... I once saw...

... a fenderless '39 Fiat Topolino freshly built on an extended chassis sporting an 8-71 blower on top of a small block Chevy V-8, straight pipes stuffed with baffles, and an aluminum rear wing that was suspended 5 feet up in the air...

It had no front brakes, spoked motorcycle tires up front with huge Goodyear slicks in the rear. Some small off road lights mounted up front to be used as headlights, along with two very small tail lights and a completely open top, two seats and two suicide doors... Then it puked its radiator all over the place as one rider jumped out of the car to PUSH it back into its parking space.

It was painted a brilliant PEA-GREEN... and rolled into the Fairplex in Pomona with one "wired-up" license plate swinging from just below the rear wing...

It gathered quite a crowd... and for some reason... I betcha the BRAND NEW CA license plate probably came off of someone's late model Toyota Camry...

Thema engine in a Scorp

He's the current President of FIAT America and lives in Livermore, CA. I'm sure he didn't have to modify the firewall.

Regards,

Ken's car did indeed have the firewall reworked, the engine leans forward instead of back and he had a photo documentary about his build showing the rework.

If you look at this pic of my 8.32 getting service you will definately see that there is not enough room for a Ferrari 308 in the engine bay of a Thema let alone trying to fit an X... just imagine from the pic where the rear valve bank is...great fun trying to do a valve adjustment by "feel" in the far reaches below the front windshield under the dash (after hours of removal of other obstructions)....in an X you would lose the rear boot and have to make serious other adjustments to accomodate...I would love to test drive one though!
valveadjustment.jpg

Paul

It would be far less expensive to take the 308 out of a Ferrari Mondial T (also transverse mounted) and parts would be more readily available and the extra hp form a Mondail T (approx 300) is a far sight more exciting a swap than the thema 8.32 rated a 215.

I still do not "get" the reasoning for such a swap...there are far more suitable vehicles to make hot rods out of IMO.

P

Actually, the Mondial T had the engine mounted longitudinally, but with the transmission transversly mounted.

Thanks for the correction...but would this not still fit much easier than the Thema version in the available space of an X?

P

Thank, Paul

I'm glad you were inspired by my '74 enough to buy an X. Here is my favorite photo from FUN '09.

My car on left and Paul's Thema in center.

DSC_0147.jpg

DSC_0015B.jpg

Dan

I'm glad you were inspired by my '74 enough to buy an X. Here is my favorite photo from FUN '09.

My car on left and Paul's Thema in center.

DSC_0147.jpg

DSC_0015B.jpg

Dan
Its all your fault Dan:wink2:...and am I ever glad we met your wonderful X 1/9...it is so nice to have Margaret begin to really enjoy the hobby with me...F.U.N. was a catalyst. Wish we had more time to talk roads and all things public works related when we were there...hope to meet up again with you at FUN 2010.

Paul

Back